Delaware Phoenix Whiskies

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Delaware Phoenix Whiskies

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:43 pm

If you attend the upcoming Bardstown BE event, you'll meet me and discover I'm really not the self-promotion kind of person. But I know there's probably a few people that do have an interest in my experiments. I can't bring myself to write a press release. So I thought I'd post a few pics here for those that aren't on FB.

IMG_0268.jpg
Corn whiskey (aged), 100 proof, 375 ml
IMG_0268.jpg (151 KiB) Viewed 5251 times

IMG_0233.jpg
Bourbon whiskey, 100 proof, 375 ml
IMG_0233.jpg (143.66 KiB) Viewed 5251 times

IMG_0259.jpg
Rye whiskey, 100 proof, 375 ml
IMG_0259.jpg (144.84 KiB) Viewed 5251 times

Anyway, these are all single-barrel expressions. The bourbon is from Barrels #2 and #4. The rye is from Barrels #1, #3, #5 and #7. The corn whiskey is from Barrel #1 (reused rye whiskey barrel). Barrel #1 was a "8 gallon" capacity barrel (#3 char), while all the other barrels nominally held 10 gallons. They were #2 char, with charred heads. They had a very high angel's share (approaching 15%). Most of the whiskey was aged about 7 to 8 months. They began their aging last fall and have gone through one summer's heat. Barrel #7 is a little younger rye and it's depth is a little less than the others. Barrel #1 rye is the youngest, but also the smallest barrel and so got the most oak, even though it's the lightest color. It's a good whiskey, but not the style I'm trying to create.

I have some larger barrels (25 gallon) from a Kentucky cooperage and I'll be very curious how the whiskey ages in those barrels.

I'll be bringing some of this whiskey with me, and I hope those at Bardstown will be able to give me their honest opinion. And if you purchase a bottle I hope you'll post an honest review. I hope you like it, but I also want people to be honest.

It'll only be available at select retailers in NY and through the Catskill Cellars web site. Sadly, KY is one of the states that they cannot ship to.

If ther'es questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks to everyone at BE for their support and knowledge. Especially those that have spent time looking into the past at how whiskey was made over 100 years ago. Looking forward to meeting y'all.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Re: Delaware Phoenix Whiskies

Unread postby birdman1099 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm

A beautiful sight, Cheryl.....

I hope I can try them someday.....
birdman1099

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 am

Just loverly me dear, loverly. And having sampled some of your excellent handiwork, I can hardly wait to try these newer offerings. Bring a gracious plenty to 'give' away. Your graciousness will certainly be repaid with 'kind' responses.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gauze » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

someday perhaps I may get a sip of this.
gauze

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings