Single Barrel selection

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Single Barrel selection

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 24, 2011 10:56 am

The Bourbon Society recently picked a single barrel of Buffalo Trace bourbon. There are people who immediately wrote it off as a "Vanity Label" because it was not barrel proof and unfiltered. I immediately lose respect for these people and this bottling of Buffalo Trace supports my position. This is not simply a Buffalo Trace with a "vanity" label on it. The bourbon is very different from regular Buffalo Trace with rich apple fruit and spice that reminds me of apple butter. A bourbon does not have to be barrel proof and unfiltered to be special. It can be quite good at bottle proof and filtered. In fact some bourbons over 12 years old can benefit from filtering and those over 15 years old should be filtered to get rid of excess tannins. As far as high proof is concerned, if the bourbon is over 110 proof then you are pretty much killing your taste buds with the first drink so you should add water if you want to enjoy tasting the bourbon over time. There is nothing wrong with lower proof bourbons. They have their niche to fill as well as the higher proof bourbons.

A single barrel selection program can be more than a vanity bottle if the tasters make it so. Insist upon a barrel that does not meet the normal taste profile and you will have a unique bottling of bourbon.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Single Barrel selection

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue May 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Well said Mike, I concur. Especially since I was one of the six who picked the barrel. We definately wanted something different than the shelf bourbon.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby vince » Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Hey Mike:

Last Saturday, I was fortunate enough to get a taste of the BT single barrel that your society selected. We did a side by side with the small batch Buffalo Trace and I totally agree with you. It was not similar to the Small Batch and it was excellent in my opinion.

I really enjoyed it, you guys did a great job picking it out.
vince

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Vince,
Just out of curiosity, did you purchase one from Westport Wine and Liquor? Or did you know a member who shared a bottle? I think it is an excellent bottle and plan to use it in my tasting auctioned off for Girls Inc. last Friday. When I get the date set for the tasting, I will let you know so maybe we can get together before hand.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby vince » Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Mike
I know a member but I have every intention of purchasing one from Westport. I would definitely use it for the girls, inc event. Let me know when that is, I would love to get together with you beforehand.
vince

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings