An IPA on the way!

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

An IPA on the way!

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:53 am

I thought I was through with beer brewing...........but, my brewing buddy got a bunch of brewing kit for his birthday and wanted to brew. At first I said no, but he persisted and won me over by saying he would do most of the work.........which he did. My bud's wife was on hand as was my wife.

And, my bud brought a friend of his from work who loves beer and wanted to play with us. So, I did some of my World Big Famous ribs and we had a great time. The IPA is in the bottle now and needs a couple more weeks to age and carbonate. As we were bottling, we had a sip of the raw IPA and both of us agreed that it will be excellent. It is darker than most IPA's of my experience, but so what..........there are some dark IPA's out there in the marketplace.

Making beer, what with all the prep work and transferring and bottling, etc. etc. is time-consuming and a deal of work and I really didn't want to take part in it. But, I did and am glad for it.

Now, a couple of other friends want to make wine again. Much easier than making beer............. but, unfortunately (they would no doubt deny this) it was I who got saddled with most of the work there. Besides, these days there is so much decent wine out there that is quite inexpensive, why make your own? Unless...........you turn the making, the bottling, and the tasting all into festive occasions and invite every living soul you and your friends know.

This hoard will descend on you most like a plague, drink up your homemade wine, eat your food, and then tell you how to make both next time (we still love 'em). At the end of it all you will be left with a bit of a hangover, good chance of a bout with gout, and mayhap a bottle or two of wine left.

Life is loverly, ain't she!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: An IPA on the way!

Unread postby jcg9779 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm

I've never brewed my own beer but have thought about it off and on for years. I do have some friends that do this, and they've produced some very tasty stuff, but of course there have been some nasty concoctions as well. One of these days I'm sure I'll give it a try!
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Re: An IPA on the way!

Unread postby JH » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:08 am

Brewed my own years ago, but so many beers became available I quit.

Used to make 50 gal. of hard cider also, in used bourbon barrels. Apple juice was $1.00 a gal. (in WNY), add sugar & yeast for desired alcohol % & you were in business. Got older & couldn't drink 50 gal. a year anymore, even giving it away to friends, so I quit :) . With prices going up the way they are I might start again, but in 5 gal. carboys.
JH

Return to What Ales You