Bulleit

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Bulleit

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

The new Bulleit Rye is out on the shelves here in Louisville. It's very interesting. It has a light rye nose, and the taste is very minty. Never got mint from a rye before. It's 95% rye and 5% malted barley. I paid $19.95.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Re: Bulleit

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:56 pm

What is the proof, and does it have an age statement? For $19.95 I'd give it a try too. I'm not positive, but suspect it was made in Indiana by a distiller that makes rye (and bourbon) for several different labels.
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 am

Yes, it's 90 proof and they say between 4-7 years old. Made in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:43 am

A store manager told me the other day, it is on the newest list of products he can order. I allways thought the Bulleit bourbon was ok, but in Indiana everybody seems to price it in the high twenties.
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

I can get Bulleit bourbon here for $19.00
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby howardf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:08 pm

We regularly get bent over on alcohol prices in Indiana, be it beer or liquor.
howardf

Unread postby gauze » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 am

bulleit is around $28 everywhere here as well, still haven't seen the rye.
gauze

Unread postby Shell » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 pm

gauze wrote:bulleit is around $28 everywhere here as well, still haven't seen the rye.

Bulleit Rye was introduced in MI in early April, priced at $24.95 (the MI state minimum retail price, plus 6% sales tax.) I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye last week. The retail store told me they were having trouble keeping it on the shelf, it is so popular. The retailer also said that distribution has been allocated in April to selected MI stores, and will not be widely distributed until May in the state.

I must say that it is quite good. The nose is wonderful, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is well-balanced, very smooth, and a very nice
rye finish. It reminds me of a softer version of the High West Rendezvous Rye (I have Batch No. 5b). (Not surprising, as they are both 95% rye/5% barley and reportedly produced at the same IN distillery.) I find the High West Rendezvous to be excellent (9.5 on a scale of 10), with the Bulleit Rye as very, very good (9 on a scale of 10).
Shell
Shell

Unread postby gauze » Fri May 13, 2011 3:23 am

paid $31 for my bottle of bulleit rye, and it's quite delicious. More on the fruity side than spicy, most of the spice coming in the finish. The nose I get the grain more than any other rye I can think of, but I might just be really in tune with rye right now as I baked a loaf of rye bread 2 days ago. I can see the mint aspect someone mentioned too, sorta of like a sweet mintyness like a spearomint lifesaver than chewing on a mint leaf though.
gauze

Unread postby Greg Adams » Fri May 13, 2011 11:21 pm

I have yet to see Bulleit Rye in southeast New Mexico which I call a bourbon wasteland. I am going up to Minnesota in one week and will check the shops there. If it's no joy I will order it when I get home. I envy most of you that have real liquer stores. Around here all we have are liquer departments at Albertson's and Wallgreens.
Greg Adams

Unread postby William » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:56 am

I bought a bottle of bourbon that was onsale for $18 and liked it a lot for the price, but half way through the alcohol kinda took over the other flavors. When I went back to Specs it wasnt on sale and was $23, I guess their prices are very different to each store. I bought a small 200ml bottle for a party at $6, then saw it in other small stores for $14. Havent tried Rye whiskey at all yet but they do have a great selection at Specs.
William

Unread postby shoshani » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I have a bottle of Bulleit Rye, and also a bottle of Old Potrero 19th Century Rye, which is aged in charred barrels. Both are 90 proof, and neither have an age statement; the big difference between them being that Bulleit is LDI's mash of 95% unmalted rye and 5% malted barley, whereas OP is 100% malted rye.

I mixed both together and was blown away. Each complements the other very nicely. If you have or can get OP, it's an interesting mix. (That one sells for about $60 here in Chicago when you can find it; it's not a casual purchase by any means.)
shoshani

Unread postby ethangsmith » Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Very surprised with this offering. This rye scared me because of it's high percentage of rye grain. I feared an imbalance of flavor. Interestingly, though it is a quite unique product in today's mainstream rye market, it is very nice and has a good flavor. It's very herbal. Reminds me of home made tea. I've been told this rye is a fair representation of a traditional Pennsylvania rye- and if that's the case, no wonder every town had a distillery! If you're looking to buy a bottle, be forewarned- This lacks the grain sweets and smoothness of a bourbon. This is a different taste- mint, tea, grass, and it's quite bitter with the only sweetness coming from the oak aging. Very nice and something different to sip now and then.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby JakeDPR » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Sounds interesting. I will have to pick up a bottle
JakeDPR

Unread postby Roscoe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:25 pm

We have seen an increased popularity in straight ryes. I brought Bulleit in a few weeks ago and it is selling well at 29.99. I also have Willet Family, Michter's, Jefferson's, Rittenhouse and, when available, Van Winkle, Handy Sazerac and the 6 yr Sazerac. Oh, one more: Hudson 375ml.

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey