Whisky and Soda

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Whisky and Soda

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:46 pm

I have a merchant's bottling called McClelland Islay. It is apparently young Bowmore (around 5-6 years old) and tastes like that renowned marque - mossy and peaty - and is an excellent value, about $35.00 (CAN). I combined this 50/50 with Italian sparkling water. It produces a very flavourful drink in which the peaty and mossy elements are evident, as is the slight "rubbery" note of a younger malt whisky. I believe this is close to how most malt whisky was consumed in the 1800's. A very nice drink.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Whisky and Soda

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:30 pm

I know I am new to this site and I am not trying to make waves, but I am not sure about adding sparkling water to a single malt. Especially 50/50. I feel like the Whisky would lose something, like it would be too diluted. And the fuzziness I would think would overpower everything. Maybe a couple drops of water at that to add to it. I am open for your full opinion, I read what you wrote but I am finding it hard to stomach.
scotchdrinker

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, it's all a question of taste, certainly. But there is no doubt whisky and soda is an old mixture, finding favour with many. My own view is actually this: for times you want to sip a drink more slowly (say at a party or with a meal, or when just nursing), a whiskey-and-soda can be very nice. You can still taste the whisky (maybe altered a bit) but it lasts longer and you get some hyradation with the drink. To taste any whisky at its best and to "get" its true essence, neat or just with a touch water is the way to go.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Ok, I understand where you are coming from now. I usually drink scotch to appreciate. I don't usually drink scotch while I eat. But I see your point. What is your favorite single malt, blended malt, or whisky?
scotchdrinker

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

I have many favorites. Maybe I can start by indicating the kind of tastes I don't favor. I don't generally go for appley tastes or ones strongly of lemon or other citrus, or where a taste of "fresh oak" is too forward. Glenfiddich and Glenlivet seem often in this category for me (at least the standard expressions). I like a light sherried background (but not always, e.g., I admire the Compass Box whiskies and John Glaser generally eschews sherried whiskies). Thus, Aberlour, Macallan (the original line), Glendronach all find favor with me. Recently I tasted a 30 years old Famous Grouse blended (vatted) malt that was outstanding with rich sherried other classic notes. I like Balvenie a lot too, the 15 year Single Barrel especially but the others too.

I like many of the Islays, especially Lagavulin, and Ardbeg (that kind of lemony I like!).

I think though I get the most pleasure from blended malts (vatted I mean) including ones I make myself.

Incidentally I find soda does do a certain amount for a blended whisky (blended in the older sense, where grain whisky is used). A Johnnie Black and soda is a nice drink. It depends too IMO what soda you use. I like a soft seltzery one, not a "hard" or "bright"-tasting mineral water.

What about you?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:02 pm

I don't really have an exact likes and dislikes in a whisky but I can tell you the some of the ones I can remember having and what i thought of them.

My most favorite is Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish, unfortunately they discontinued it. I want to try the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which replaced that.
I also like:
Macallan 12yo
Glenlivet 12yo
Glenfiddich 18yo
Tormore 12yo
Clynellish Single Cask 11yo
McKillops, don't remember which one I had
Oban 14yo
Johnnie Walker Green
Johnnie Waliker Blue

They all taste so different but I know when I drink something if I don't like it or not. I recently had Talisker 10yo and I was not impressed in any way. It was too peaty I felt like I was drinking a meal. If you have any suggestions of what I might try next let me know.
Last edited by scotchdrinker on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotchdrinker

Unread postby HowiPepper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Lately I've been drinking Scotch and soda, using Chivas Regal and club soda. I thought the club soda would totally smother the Chivas, but it doesn't. The smokiness becomes more pronounced, and all-in-all, it makes for a nice drink. I picked up a bottle of J&B Scotch today, to try with the club soda. J&B might be a tad too light for club soda, but we'll see.

Btw, I will never tell anyone how they should drink their whisky, but I do not mix my single malts with anything. Well, with the glass, my lips and tongue! :-D

Here's my "recipe" for Scotch and soda:

2 oz. blended Scotch
3 - 5 oz. club soda
four ice cubes

Drop the ice cubes in a double old-fashion glass, pour in the whisky, then fill 'er up with club soda. Stir, then enjoy!
HowiPepper

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Howi,
I agree with you completely, I will never tell anyone how to drink there whisky. Scotch and soda is very popular I just never tried it.
scotchdrinker

Unread postby HowiPepper » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:41 pm

I hadn't tried Scotch & soda either... until a couple of months ago.

I'm not much of a mixed drink drinker, I "over-indulged" in my youth, and that darned near ruined me! I think I had my last mixed drink sometime in the mid-80's. What changed me was a friend giving me a bottle of Chivas Regal. The only thing I had to "mix" it with was ice cubes, and once I tried Chivas on the rocks, I was hooked. For the last 20-odd years I've been drinking mostly Chivas Regal, Crown Royal and Anniversario Rum, all on the rocks.

I only recently started drinking my whisky (and whiskey) "neat". Single malt Scotch was the cause of that, and now I've branched out into Bourbon, Rye and Tennessee whiskey, as well as single malt Scotch. I love 'em all! :D

Btw, J&B works well with Scotch & soda (as a matter of fact, I'm enjoying one as I type this post). I think I will try some Johnnie Walker Black Label & soda next.
HowiPepper

Unread postby MalindaCarstensen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Mixed drinks don't work for me either !!
MalindaCarstensen

Unread postby ebo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:I know I am new to this site and I am not trying to make waves, but I am not sure about adding sparkling water to a single malt. Especially 50/50. I feel like the Whisky would lose something, like it would be too diluted. And the fuzziness I would think would overpower everything. Maybe a couple drops of water at that to add to it. I am open for your full opinion, I read what you wrote but I am finding it hard to stomach.

As a long time scotch drinker, I would agree with you... however, We are talking about McClellend's Islay. This stuff is $20.00 in my area. It isn't anything to write home about. In fact, it isn't even that good for the price. I say do what you need/want to do to make it drinkable. :D
ebo

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am

i tried some gendonarch 15 with a slash of cola once.

the cola sugars like came alive like they got an electric charge.

by the way i was drinking that G15 neat not dumping it all with cola.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Return to Scotch Whisky