what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: what I brought home this week and why? vol. III

Unread postby ebo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Ohio sucks for any kind of choice in whisk(e)y. I think it's ridiculous that I can get Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch, but I can't get the standard Yellow Label. Scotch fairs even worse. Thank goodness for mail order! :D
ebo

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm

ebo wrote:Ohio sucks for any kind of choice in whisk(e)y. I think it's ridiculous that I can get Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch, but I can't get the standard Yellow Label. :D

Pennsylvania is not much better. We can get the yellow label but not the Small Batch or Single Barrel. When it sucks, it sucks.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gauze » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 am

visited our nation's capitol this weekend and visited a liquor store just to check. rather low rent area but I did spot some Old Charter 8 year old which I have not seen on the shelves up north here, and it was $13. Bottle bottom indicates this was bottled in 1998, it was on the shelf behind the bullet proof glass enclosed counter, so I couldn't tell it was a dusty when I picked it. Doing some research it says buffalo trace didn't buy this brand until 1999, and if it was bottled in 1998 it was distilled in 1990 so this is a Diagio/United Distillers distillate apparently. Also the label says Bottled in louisville, KY instead of Frankfort as label on this site shows leading me to believe my sleuthing was correct.
gauze

Unread postby snakeman48 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 am

Knob Creek Single Barrel, just hit our area. Haven't opened it yet.
Blanton's Single Barrel, "T" topper, time to try this expression,
Rock Hill farms, the retailer is discontinuing it, and it was the last bottle he had. I always wanted to try it.
snakeman48

Unread postby whiskeybreath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 am

I can't speak for the whole state of Florida, but the part where I am {Southwest} simply SUCKS when it comes to shopping for bourbon. Bought a 1.75 of 86 Old Forester because it was all they had in that line. Little old lady there was going to plop down $12.99 for some white label Beam, until I told her to try the $10.99 Ancient Age instead. A better whiskey for less $.
whiskeybreath

Unread postby jcg9779 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:59 pm

My Party Source order arrived today - Old Fitz Very Special 12 yr. and Very Old Barton BIB - I haven't had either one before and haven't see them sold in Georgia.

My buddy picked up a bottle of 2010 GTS for me this week and it should be here today (currently on the FedEx truck for delivery).

I also picked up two PHC 10 yr. for my bunker.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:56 pm

I grabbed six bottles of Four Roses Yellow Label. Couldn't walk away for 11.99 a bottle.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Wild Turkey 101. Time to give a big name a try.
Birdo

Unread postby gman58 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Well tonight I made a run to a liquor store on the other end of town just to see what they'd have that might be different than the store near my house. The store, and their selection, were smaller than my regular store. But, they did have a few things I hadn't seen before. There was a bottle of Rebel Reserve that caught my eye. The price looked right, less than $20, but since I hadn't been all that impressed with Rebel Yell, I decided to pass on it.

I ended up with two bottles; Elijah Craig and Knob Creek Single Barrel. I bought the Elijah Craig because I really liked the first bottle I had. Since I've started drinking bourbon and building my collection, it's the first bottle that I've emptied. I really enjoy drinking it.

I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of Knob Creek for awhile. My wife and I have both tried it at restaurants or bars and liked it. I bought the Single Barrel because of some positive comments about it on this website. This was the first bottle of the single barrel I've seen here in Ohio and the retailer said he'd just gotten them. I hope it's worth the extra price over regular Knob Creek.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby snakeman48 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:13 pm

I waled in to my favorite liquor on Tuesday looking for the New BT Old Taylor release. I talked to the owner, and he said he would check on it.
Called me and said there were 10 cases that just arrived, sitting at his distributor. The total allotment for the state. He said he ordered 2 cases, all that they let him have.
Called me Friday to tell me it was in, and he'd let me have up to a case.

Well, I now have that case, opened it yesterday, and tried 1 bottle. I like it. So I'm putting back a few in my bunker.
Others will be offered up for purchase.

snakeman48

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Wow! Looks like Buffalo Trace really did up their new Col. E.H. Taylor Jr. bottling very nicely. I'd like to try a taste.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm

The new Bulleit Rye just hit the shelves here in Louisville last week. It is very minty in the nose and taste. Same looking bottle as Bulleit bourbon, but with a green label. 95% rye and 5% malted barley. 90 proof and 4-7 years old I paid $19. 95.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby whiskeybreath » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

I could have done without all of the fancy packaging on the "new" Old Taylor. Doesn't make the whiskey taste any better, just cost more. Call me a cheap SOB {my family does}, but I refuse to pay these inflated prices that most seem willing to pay. That being the case, can't blame Buffalo Trace, they are entitled to all the profit that the public is willing to give them. Anyway, I brought home a 4/5th of 12 yr old WL Weller today. Decided to stop being a three brand man and try some of the newer offerings out there these days. You can read my review if you'd like. Think I'll go have a shot of my National Distillers Old Taylor and remember the good old days when GREAT whiskey was cheap.
whiskeybreath

Unread postby gauze » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:10 am

Old fitz bib. my favorite bottom shelfer getting a replacement. 04 bottling.
gauze

Unread postby Satty Beach » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 pm

{Bourbon Bunker Projekt} Old Heaven Hill BIB 100 proof 2x1 ltr, Old Taylor 6 1x750. I had to go looking for these. He also had dusty Old Charter 8 1.75 ltr old labels and JW Dant BIB 100 proof 1.75 PLASTIC. I'll have to wait to find a JW Dant in 750ml to try. I'll be back to clean out his Old Charter 8 stock though. For daily D&T {drinkin and thinkin} Old Forester 1.75, WL Weller special reserve 7 yo 1x750, Rebel Yell 1x750 {low ball experiment}

Projected future Bourbon Bunker Projekt needs; Beams choice, JTS Brown, Fighting Cock, Geo Dickel 8/12, more Old Charter, more Old Forester, Very Old Barton, Old Weller Antique, anything with "Old" in its name and 100 proof and not crap, Old Overholt as much as I can carry, more WL Weller special reserve. Plus appropriate "B" and "C" list Rums and scotchs and whiskeys for exampling.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight