Knob Creek Single Barrel

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Knob Creek Single Barrel

Unread postby hillbillydoc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Just picked up a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel. 120 proof. Splash of water in old fashioned glass. Wonderful bourbon. Obvious alcohol on the nose, the vanilla and oak. Taste sweet, caramel, leather, faint vanilla. Water diluted to about 100 proof, but silky smooth with a finish that goes on and on. Home run with this one.
hillbillydoc

Re: Knob Creek Single Barrel

Unread postby Mike » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I like and have defended KC on this site a number of times and have seen this new product at 'my' liquor store within the past few days.

At <$40 I am sure to try it. My question is how is it different from Booker's bourbon, aside from being a couple of years older. It is cheaper than Booker's, and older.............what is Beam up to?............I know............they have the bourbon lover's interest in mind.

I will withhold my opinion until I taste it. If I like it so much the better! In my opinion, Beam is way behind the other distilleries in producing exceptional bourbons. They offer nothing to compare (in my awareness) to either the Buffalo Trace special offerings, or the Heaven Hill (all first rate) specialty offerings, or the Four Roses Limited Edition stuff, or even the Birthday Bourbons (not to mention the interesting and unique Experimental Bourbons) from Brown Foreman.

Beam can rest on the sales of JB White as number two behind JD and sit on their @$$ (and eventually lose market share), or they can come up with some truly exceptional bourbons much as the other distilleries have. Beam (my opinion) has NOTHING to compare with the best from HH, or WT, or BF, or BT........absolutely nothing as good as these other guys offer in the way of premium bourbons.

Is your head up your a$$, Beam? You should be ashamed!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am

This has to be a great all time bourbon. There is no way it can't be. I want some. No, I want a LOT!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Rotgut » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 pm

I really like KC and I'm interested to try the single barrel but $40 is on the edge of my comfort zone. I like Booker’s and I imagine KCSB won’t be too dissimilar. I’ll have to wait for a sale.

Mike
Rotgut

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Mike, you're the man. I couldn't have said it better, and I do like some Beam products too; OGD 114, and BIB.
PaulO

Unread postby ebo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm

I picked up a bottle of this over the weekend. IMO, it isn't any better than the regular expression... just a higher proof. To me, it's just "bolder" all the way around. I like it just fine, but I'm not sure it's worth $40.00.
ebo

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 am

What is IMO?
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby vince » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am

I had a glass of the knob creek single barrel last night at a libation establishment and enjoyed it immensely. I like Knob Creek and I feel it is very similar with a more bold flavor due to the higher proof (and their is nothing wrong with that!).

By the way, IMO means "in my opinion"

Vince
vince

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 am

Well, why don't people SAY "in my opinion?? Lazy typing!
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby ebo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:Well, why don't people SAY "in my opinion?? Lazy typing!

You don't have kids, do you? :lol:

On almost every message board forum I've ever been a member of, IMO is used quite extensively. Every whisk(e)y forum I'm on uses Abbreviations for brands. Maybe you should learn the ways of message boards? :wink:
ebo

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:24 am

I have studied the ways of message boards, and I think it's just pure lazieness on the part of the posters. And, by the way, what does having kids have to do with anything??
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby ebo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:I have studied the ways of message boards, and I think it's just pure lazieness on the part of the posters. And, by the way, what does having kids have to do with anything??

Well, they communicate via texting almost exclusively these days. If you think a few abbreviations on a message board is taxing, try figuring out what your kids are saying (typing). :mrgreen:
ebo

Unread postby gauze » Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 am

how do new bottlings get added at this point? seems like a lot of stuff has been missed in the last year.
gauze

Unread postby Bas.nl » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 am

Is your head up your a$$, Beam? You should be ashamed!

Why should they. Those other companies probably need those extra special expressions to have a foot in the market.
Bas.nl

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:23 pm

My dad bought me a bottle of this last weekend (along with a case of hand picked Evan Williams Single Barrel) and I'll have to say, even though I'm not a huge fan of KC, or JB products in general, this one was VERY good. Definately suprised me. I tend to lean toward the higher proof whiskeys and this one was one of the smoothest I have encountered. Maybe I got a smoother than normal bottle, but if someone had told me this was a 120 proof whiskey, I would have told them they were full of.......beans. Now I suppose I'm going to have to revisit those Beam products I had written off as not my cup of tea.

Life could be worse.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Next

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion