Parker's Heritage 10-year-old wheater

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Parker's Heritage 10-year-old wheater

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Somewhere in the back of my creaky mind, is the notion that Talleyrand, that chemeleon and master of French politics, who managed to survive (nay, THRIVE) in the political foment from the reign of Louis XVI through the French Revolution and on even beyond Napoleon's regime, loved Cognac and had some opinions on how best to enjoy it (let the glass warm in the hand before even nosing it). Talleyrand was born in 1751 and died in 1838.

That, if memory serves me correctly in regard to Talleyrand, places Cognac Brandy well within the 18th century, or, at its latest, in the early 19th century.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Back to Parker's Heritage 10-Year-Old-Wheater. After getting a bottle for myself, I must disagree that it has Cognac like properites. To my palate (about which I claim no particular acuteness), it is not soft and delicate as I find Cognac, but deeply rich and buttery.........qualities I would never associate with Cognac, but very much so with American whiskey. I find this whiskey much closer to high rye Wild Turkey Tribute than to Cognac. That it can be compared to excellent spirits of different types by different palates must, says I, speak of its greatness.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:13 pm

I revisited PHC Wheated today. I took 40 ml of the bourbon and 10 ml of filtered water to make my sip. This produces a 101 proof whiskey. This is a superbly rich whiskey, highly viscous and spiritedly spicy (especailly for a 10 YO Wheat bourbon).

I will venture out on a limb here and speculate on why Chuck Cowdery (am I reading too much in to his comparison?) found it to be akin to Cognac. The sweetness of Cognac is thick and viscous and appears to be directly from flowers as much as from the grape (to me at least). In the sense of that thick almost delicate sweetness in PHC Wheat, there is a relation to Cognac.

But ............I also did a direct comparison to Wild Turkey Tribute today and found the PHC Wheat much closer to that bourbon than to Cognac because of the spicy bite. While the Wild Turkey has a definite rye bite not found in the PHC Wheat, their richness and deep, thick mouthfeel makes them close relatives, and exemplars of American Whiskey.

I find the slightly smokey taste of the PHC Wheated to be superior to the WT Tribute. The bite of the PHC is not as intense as the WT Tribute, making it a touch more subtle.

Just my take on this topic.
Mike

Unread postby gauze » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:56 pm

I had a sample of this at a heaven hill tasting at julios a few weeks ago and I found it to be extremely grainy tasting, more so than any other wheater I have had. I had the girlfriend pick me up a bottle for xmas because I enjoyed its unique character.

I've never had cognac but the buttery richness of pappy line I suspect is what you guys are on about ;)
gauze

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Back to the subject of Parker's 10-year-old wheater, I'm finding I don't like this neat but love it with a little water. It is very high at almost 64% ABV. I don't like anything neat over about 55%.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby jcg9779 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 am

I agree with you Chuck. I've gone back and sampled this a couple of times now, and I do like this much more with either a little water or some ice. I do really enjoy this bourbon though.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings