Irish whiskey

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Irish whiskey

Unread postby barturtle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 pm

OMG! They Killed Kenny! Those bastards! They even put up flags about it :lol:
barturtle

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Barturtle,

Yeah, poor Kenny! :lol: The Irish are definitely fanatical about the Gaelic Games. County vs. County. They were in the semi-final round about the time we were there, and the finals are coming up in a couple of weeks. I believe Kenny must've been resurrected from the dead, because I think they're in the finals. I wish we could've seen a match while we were there. If only we had more time.... :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks for posting the photos, Bob! You didn't actually drink that stuff did you? :wink:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:31 pm

bunghole wrote:Thanks for posting the photos, Bob! You didn't actually drink that stuff did you? :wink:

Linn,

You're welcome! Also, I think I did drink that stuff and it was good! :drunken: :drink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Brewer wrote:
bunghole wrote:Thanks for posting the photos, Bob! You didn't actually drink that stuff did you? :wink:

Linn,

You're welcome! Also, I think I did drink that stuff and it was good! :drunken: :drink:

I was worried about that! You and BourboCat simply must return to Virginia so we can drink some sense back into y'all.

Hurry! Fall Colors are coming very soon.

Meet you in Luray!

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Linn,

We need to do a road trip to Virginia one of these days. It's been too long! BTW, somehow I still have my senses together but I do like some goodies that I know are not your cup of tea. But, you're welcome to provide me with drink that may help any remaining sense that I have left to stay with me! :lol:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Hey Bob,
On your way down to Virginia stop by and pick me and Doug up.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:37 pm

Joe,

I think we should get a BE caravan going to VA! Crowds traveling south on 81; Mike and the southern contingent coming north up 81! Wouldn't that be cool.
Bob
Brewer

Re: Irish whiskey in Eire

Unread postby jfenwick » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Ireland is one of my favorite vacations and I have been there many times. The last trip was for an Irish Catholic wedding (2 weeks of partying).

While it has changed with increasing speed in the last 12 years or so, it is still like stepping back into the past.

The people are friendly, the pubs are GREAT and the stuff to see is everywhere. I have crawled in a passagebuilder tomb and held an Ogham stone.

I have friends in the various parts of the country that I have traded homes with and can always recommend places to stay and things to do if anyone is planning a trip.

Check out some of the Irish vacation package websites.... $1400 for 2 for a week including airfare, ensuite b&b and a rental car is not a bad price.

Jesse
(Having a bit of Black Bush I picked up at the distillery about 10 years ago... ya i know, northern ireland, UK)
jfenwick

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 pm

I thought it would be of interest to show that in the early 1800's, rum was considered choice which was sent to England in barrels that had been used to import porter and stout:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YGoAx- ... #PPA123,M1

Rum was being "finished" in an ex-beer barrel, just as, say, some Scotch whisky is finished today in ex-ale barrels (Grant's Scotch whisky has an iteration and there are other examples).

And thus e.g., bourbon has been finished in a port barrel (for Australia, anyway) or treated in some way with the sweet red drink. Spirits returned the favour in the form of the new American beer style of porter or stout aged in a bourbon barrel.

Truly as Ecclesiastes says, there is nothing new under the sun.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby jfenwick » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 am

I was just rereading some posts and saw the mention of RedBreast.

RedBreast 12 is available in the US and imported by Pernod. I have one, too.

Another Irish (Northern, this time) is Knappogue Castle. It is Single Malt, Vintage dated Bushmills. It is imported to eh US by Castle Brands, NY. I have a 1995.

Actually, though, my favorite Irish whisky to sit and sip is still Jameson Gold Reserve, not because it is good, but because my dad and I had a few of them many times in Ireland on various trips there.

When is the next trip to Ireland? It does not take much to give me a reason to go...

Jesse
jfenwick

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Well, with this being an 18 month old zombie thread, I can be blamed for reviving it. Certainly liked the pictures.

There was a recent post over at WDJK about the Redbreast 12 and 15 and how TTB has forced them to change "pure pot still" to something else, and that is to be "single pot still", even though the whiskey may not have been made in only one pot still. Anyway, I decided that it would be good to try some pot still whiskey. I found the Redbreast 12 at a local store that tries to carry some of the better stuff. $50 plus tax.

I'm looking forward to trying this.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm

delaware_phoenix wrote:Well, with this being an 18 month old zombie thread, I can be blamed for reviving it. Certainly liked the pictures.

There was a recent post over at WDJK about the Redbreast 12 and 15 and how TTB has forced them to change "pure pot still" to something else, and that is to be "single pot still", even though the whiskey may not have been made in only one pot still. Anyway, I decided that it would be good to try some pot still whiskey. I found the Redbreast 12 at a local store that tries to carry some of the better stuff. $50 plus tax.

I'm looking forward to trying this.

Cheryl, after my visit to Ireland last fall, during which I visted Jameson Distilleries twice (the one in Dublin is closed but open to tourists, and the one in Midleton, which is going full tilt), I became completely enamoured of both Ireland and Irish Whiskey.

Please do let us know what you think of the Redbreast (a Jameson whiskey). I like it, but not as much as the 12 YO Jameson, or more to the point, Midleton (Jameson's best)........which is, to my mind, a world class whiskey. I have seen the 15 YO Redbreast but have not yet been willing to divert my money saved for my next bottle of Midleton (about $115) to the Redbreast. I look forward to your assessment of Redbreast. If you like the Redbreast and Irish Whiskey, when I next buy a bottle of Midleton, and if you be nice to me, I will send you a sample. Your whiskey judgement is valued.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:15 am

Why thank you very much! (On the valuing my whiskey judgement thing. That's quite an honor.) And I'd be honored too at any sample you send my way in the future. They are always appreciated!

I'm very interested in the qualities of pot distilled whiskey and I find it interesting that Irish whiskey seems to have stuck with that instead of switching to column stills in the late 1800's. Of course, their distilling protocol seem more refined than what I understand of traditional American pot distilled whiskey protocol to be. Some interesting history there I'm sure, but perhaps things that were never written down.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Bas.nl » Tue May 17, 2011 2:37 am

gillmang wrote:And thus e.g., bourbon has been finished in a port barrel (for Australia, anyway) or treated in some way with the sweet red drink. Spirits returned the favour in the form of the new American beer style of porter or stout aged in a bourbon barrel.Gary

Probably also the reason why there is a Jim Beam small batch with Port added sold overthere and nowhere else.
Bas.nl

Previous

Return to Scotch Whisky