availability of A.H.Hirsch

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

availability of A.H.Hirsch

Unread postby daboelk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Does anyone have any current information on the availability, current case count or where to get ahold of A.H.Hirsch 16 YO?
daboelk

Re: availability of A.H.Hirsch

Unread postby Mike » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 pm

At 'my' liquor store there is a very good supply. Sad thing is, it is $289. While this is a truly exceptional whiskey, it is a 'mature' whiskey which is quite dry and oaky. I once considered it a 'must try' whiskey, I cannot say that with good conscience anymore. But..........if you can first experience a 'dry' mature whiskey (try Noah's Mill or Rowan's Creek), you might find it very disappointing. Pretty much anything above 12 Years Old will owe at lot to the oak............maybe a good thing, maybe not.

My suggestion is that you make sure your palate (pardon me if I am assuming too much here) prefers the older drier bourbons to the rich deep bourbons (6 to 10 Years Old). A good introduction to rich sweet (and potent) bourbons is to try Weller Antique. If you can get Maker's Mark 46 you will find an excellent bourbon that is both somewhat dry and somewhat sweet. There is nothing to be gained by trying A H Hirsch if your budget is not pretty much unlimited.

If you can afford it, and your passion is intense, by all means, get some A H Hirsch 16..........and some Pappy 20 YO. But as I recently noted in a post, consider these specialty bourbons, not ones to cut your bourbon teeth on. Old bourbons, as many experienced bourbon drinkers have often pointed out, are not always good bourbons and seem destined for a limited audience.

Again, pardon me if I have assummed that you are not an experienced bourbon drinker who knows what he wants.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby silverfish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 am

daboelk wrote:Does anyone have any current information on the availability, current case count or where to get ahold of A.H.Hirsch 16 YO?

Last I heard, this box set was to be the last of the Hirsch.
1000 sets produced and price announced was $1500. back
in mid 2009 but I've yet to see any of them for sale.

John Hansell posted a blog entry in June 2009.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:13 am

It's around here and there across the U.S. but what I have seen it is usually north of $250. The last ones I bought were at Binny's for about 50 bucks each. That was quite some time ago.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby ethangsmith » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 pm

If anyone has a bottle they'd like to sell, I'd like to buy it. It will further complete my Michter's museum.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby gauze » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:21 am

I might have located a bottle of the 16 year but I won't know for sure for 2 weeks ...
gauze

Unread postby Pirate762 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Not sure how good a price this is but there was a case (12 bottles) on epay for an opening bid of only $2000.00. To rich for me...
Pirate762

Unread postby libertybar » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Folks - it's really not that great at all, and surely not worth the price. Have you had it? It's dry, not very faceted, a touch sour...

Geez...I hate to be so negative...
Liberty Bar - Seattle, Washington
President - Washington State Bartender's Guild
Founding Member - Washington Distiller's Guild
libertybar

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings