AMS Corn Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

AMS Corn Whiskey

Unread postby OakstoneSpirits » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi All,

I just received a bottle of A.M.S. Kentucky Straight Corn Whiskey. I am looking for information regarding whiskey and it's manufacturer. I can not seem to find any information on AMS or this particular bottling on the web. The bottle appears to be from the 70's (pure speculation).

Thanks, Ian
OakstoneSpirits

Re: AMS Corn Whiskey

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Pictures would help.

AMS stands for American Medicinal Spirits, a company formed by the Wathen family in Louisville to serve as a consolidation warehouse and medicinal whiskey seller during Prohibition. After Prohibition, AMS became the main component of National Distillers, one of the top U.S. spirits companies until it was acquired by Jim Beam Brands Co. in 1987. AMS ceased to exist as a company with the formation of National, though it's possible that National continued to use the name as a DBA for some products. As Straight Corn Whiskey, the product would have been aged for at least two years in either new uncharred or (more likely) used charred barrels (most likely barrels that previously held bourbon). Corn whiskey has never been a big seller and isn't something whiskey enthusiasts pay much attention to. Corn whiskey does not have to be aged so most of it isn't, making a straight corn a fairly rare item in any era.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 am

Unless the rules were different in the past, corn whiskey may not be stored in new charred oak barrels. Used barrels are ok, as are new uncharred oak barrels.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 am

I am pretty sure I had a taste of this, from a bottle John Lipman had, and it was very good. If not this one, it was from the same era. It was tinted light brown.

The Early Times put out last year as a commemorative item, at 100 proof, is quite similar to what I tasted. Early Times is not a corn whiskey but rather a bourbon mash aged in mostly used barrels and some new charred barrels. Nonetheless I found the tastes quite similar.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Early Times Kentucky Whisky is 80% new charred barrels, 20% used charred barrels.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:33 am

Right, it's the other way around. But it has a marked corn taste still, similar to an aged corn.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I agree, it does, That's a combination of its mash bill (79% corn), its youth (36 mo.) and the way it's aged.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Return to Collector's Corner