Bought any bad tasting Scotch lately?

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Bought any bad tasting Scotch lately?

Unread postby Martian » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:47 pm

I noticed that Jim Murray in his 2008 Whiskey Bible devoted four pages to the increasing frequency of bad tasting Scotch. He traces it to sulfur-tainted Spanish sherry casks. Has anyone experienced this?
Martian

Re: Bought any bad tasting Scotch lately?

Unread postby HowiPepper » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:45 pm

I've been drinking Scotch for over 25 years now, mostly blended (Chivas Regal), and in all that time, the only "bad tasting" Scotch I've run across was a bottle of "Old Smuggler" blended Scotch a friend gave me. I took it with a smile on my face, and when I got home I tried it (almost spit it in the sink), then poured it out. It was that foul.

I still drink some blended Scotch (mainly Chivas Regal and J&B), but for the most part, I prefer single malt when I drink Scotch. I have a nice collection of The Glenlivet, including the 12 year old, 15 year old French Reserve, 18 year old and a bottle of the 21 year old Archive. Now that's some smooth and tasty Scotch!

I've also tried Glenfiddich, GlenDronach (got an outstanding deal on a bottle of 12 year old... $24. The liqueur store mis-priced it!) and Oban. All of the above are Speyside single malts, and all tasted quite nice.

I am thinking about trying an Islay single malt next, probably Laphroig. The smoky peatiness of Islay single malts does not scare me, so this should be quite interesting.
HowiPepper

Unread postby Martian » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:53 pm

I am currently enjoying a Laphroaig Quarter Cask 96 proof. It is apparently a young whiskey, but it is very nice with lots of peat and smoke. It is only my second Islay bottling. I like the Islays. To me this is what Scotch should taste like. I think it's a good buy.
Martian

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Yes! They all suck ass!

Jim Murry said they sucked, so they must suck!

Good God Give The Drummer Some!

Hurry!

Saint Linn!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby independant » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:43 am

I bought a bottle of grants blended scotch not long ago and it was the worst thing I have ever had I can't even begin to narrow down the awfulness of it. It was right around the time when I was beginning to try new things and I had not had scotch in a really long time so I saw this really cool shaped bottle and said what the hell I'll give it a try.
Long story short there for a little while I thought all scotch tasted like that but luck for me I have had great quality sence then :). So now that I read this I am wondering if I just got a really bad bottle or if grants is that bad
independant

Unread postby Martian » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Grant's is generally considered to be a good blend. It is one of Jim Murray's favorite blends. I tried a bottle about a year ago and found it to be just OK but not bad. I wouldn't buy it again. My tastes are usually similar to Murray's but not on this one.
Martian

Unread postby mozilla » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:40 am

I bought a dusty bottle of King George V from the Schenley days. I was powerfully weak. I have to assume that it is a lowland blend because of its super soft and somewhat floral flavor. I tried to pour just a touch of bourbon in the bottle to add some character....but, I didn't want to waste good bourbon on this bottle. I havn't poured it out, yet...but, it is first on the list. Steer clear of dusty KG V.
mozilla

Unread postby Bob Hodel » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Kind of lean toward Glenlivet myself.... Though, Chivas is really good too. If you want to try an inexpensive blend that has almost a single malt taste, try Clan McGregor. Not bad!
Bob Hodel

Unread postby HowiPepper » Sat May 30, 2009 10:46 am

mozilla wrote:I bought a dusty bottle of King George V from the Schenley days. I was powerfully weak. I have to assume that it is a lowland blend because of its super soft and somewhat floral flavor. I tried to pour just a touch of bourbon in the bottle to add some character....but, I didn't want to waste good bourbon on this bottle. I havn't poured it out, yet...but, it is first on the list. Steer clear of dusty KG V.

Hey mozilla, that one sounds like a prime candidate to use in a Scotch and soda! :D
HowiPepper

Unread postby Junggai » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

The Glenfohry 8 Years, which cost 12 Euros at my local supermarket, the most cloying, weak white grape sweetness I've ever witnessed. My mistake, I thought I could get into Scotch the same way I got into Bourbon, by buying cheap stuff first. Now I have a relatively expnsive bottle of cooking wine.
Junggai

Unread postby tbertram » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Haven't bought any bad scotch but I have been gifted some bad stuff. Speyburn in particular. Tasted like GNS with "instant scotch mix" stirred in. Horrible stuff.
tbertram

Unread postby stresssolutions » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:13 pm

while ago I bought some small bottles of scotch, back before I had decided on bourbon as a drink of choice. I drank them this week and didn't like them. Both Glenfidditch and Dewars blended white label 8 years old. blech. back to bourbon for me.
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby Rickey Rotten » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm

I haven't tried a lot of scotch, maybe around a dozen single malts and 3-4 blends but I have a bottle of Ardmore that I really dislike. The first tasting was revolting. A second tasting a week later was better but it's too sweet for one and there is just something going on there I don't like.
Rickey Rotten

Unread postby ebo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Rickey Rotten wrote:I haven't tried a lot of scotch, maybe around a dozen single malts and 3-4 blends but I have a bottle of Ardmore that I really dislike. The first tasting was revolting. A second tasting a week later was better but it's too sweet for one and there is just something going on there I don't like.

Ardmore is one of my favorite affordable drams. I love the fully peated sweetness. I always think of caramel cream candy when I drink it.

As far as bad tasting... I have to say the bottle of Cutty Sark my brother gave me is the worst I've had in a long while.
ebo

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 pm

GREAT POST TITLE.

and the guy that mention re-bought grants (i have never tried) not long ago and it taste yuk. i'm not surprise. no wonder everyone is turning to single malts or vatts and that hassel of not knowing you will like it just because your blend now is shit that you were happy with . maybe the good stuff gets shiped to india and china now or using too young grain and rushing em? Im telling you i have never had one problem with a starter blend from decades ago. never.

but then you get current reviews with some saying good things. just like how it was before. i am confused.

YEP many let downs. Blends when you get a bottle that reeks that bad i can't drink. what is that? how do i know before i waste another $$. I am also including Irish whisky too, i think. also sometimes you get sharper alcohol but other times not from same brand. thats sorta ok with me but rest is shit. But Now every starter looks like a MARS BAR. Teachers the WORST. YUK.

i enjoyed teachers so much. many times a day i sometimes think i need a teeachers cream. neat. 1/2 teaspoon of water.

i have not tried ardmore. the TC version has beam global on it. no thanks.

ever since they put it in cola can it has gone yuk. tried 2 bottles. one with new label.

1st reek of alcohol i had to tip out. the other that looks like Mars Bar in colour just yuk.

my instinct said not to buy in 1st place soon as i notice a teachers can i year later.

anyway i do plain to buy another teachers. but bottle from the 70's 80's.

they dont look like a mars bar.

I have also bought a Walker Black in 2009 or 2010 christmas and the alcohol too bad. I have never bought another one. not even a 375ml that would be handy.
i

HOW do you know if a blend is going to just be crap or reek. that reek. but sometimes it good then other times it not.

i simply avoid all modern starter blends to this day. they have took my $$ more often on bad then good bottles.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Next

Return to Scotch Whisky