Just messing

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Just messing

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Several times on this site various members have mentioned that Bourbon and Cognac have some affinities. I have certainly found this to be the case, especially in regard to 15+ YO Bourbons.

I find the Maker's Mark 46 Bourbon (which I like a lot) to be more like an older bourbon than its actual age would indicate, so I find it has just a hint of Cognac like taste. So I thought why not kick in a little fine Cognac to see if it is compatable with MM 46. I mixed 50 ml of MM 46 and 5 ml of Pierre Ferrand Cigare Cognac to test this out. It is like they were made for each one another. For anyone who thinks MM 46 is too tannic (which I don't by the way) because of its exposure to the barrel staves at the end of its time in the barrel, about 10% of added Cognac seems to curtail the tannins and add some lively but delicate fruit flavors.

This combo makes for an excellent spirit. Might not work if you don't like Cognac.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Just messing

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Perhaps Maker's Mark could take a clue from Distiller's Masterpiece and finish in used cognac casks. I never did taste any of that stuff.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 pm

bunghole wrote:Perhaps Maker's Mark could take a clue from Distiller's Masterpiece and finish in used cognac casks. I never did taste any of that stuff.

I haven't tried it either, although it is still sitting on the shelf at 'my' liquor store and last time I looked it was priced at about $350. Bunghole, when dihydroxy oxide falls below zero degrees centigrade in Old Scratch's Kingdom, I will buy us both a bottle of that shit.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Mike, I think you're doing just as well with MM46 and your cognac of choice.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings