My Springbank

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

My Springbank

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Well finally, I'm going to do some basic tasting notes for my private cask of Springbank Single Malt. It was bottled at 7 Years Old. I was told by the distillery manager that since the cask was a relatively small ex-bourbon cask, it matured more rapidly than larger casks. When asked, he told me he'd equate this with a 15 Year Old. It was bottled at 100 Proof. The color is a pale gold. I'm using a Glencairn glass. Uncut, the nose is smoky & there's a sea salt aroma. The mouth-feel is oily. The taste is smooth, with more salt, smoke, malt and honey. The finish is smooth and lingers for a long time, with the honey flavor hanging around for quite awhile. In a lot of ways, this reminds me of an Islay malt, which IMO is a good thing.
Bob
Brewer

Re: My Springbank

Unread postby sipourit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:01 pm

100 proof is quite high. I sure you have fermented that for long time. I just wonder what recipe did you use?
sipourit

Re: My Springbank

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 am

sipourit wrote:100 proof is quite high. I sure you have fermented that for long time. I just wonder what recipe did you use?

Sipo,

If you read my post, you would have read that it is 7 Years Old. And Springbank distilled the whiskey, so it was their recipe not mine.
Bob
Brewer

Return to Scotch Whisky