Old Humidor

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Humidor

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:22 am

I've got a ? for you. Since my visit to Tampa & PA, I've been learning a bit more about cigars. While looking at a website yesterday, I noticed that a basic humidor looked very similar to an old "box" that had belonged to my grandfather. I've been using it to store various hardware in it. So, last night, I found the box & opened it up & inside it says "Wm Allen; Seleccion Privada, Palmas Extra" & a whopping price of "15 cents".

The inner lining appears to be cedar. It is currently very dirty and needs to be cleaned before I use it. Any tips regarding cleaning: what to do or not do to get it up to working condition?
Bob
Brewer

Re: Old Humidor

Unread postby fricky » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:39 pm

What you describe may be an old box in which cigars were shipped. It may function very well as a humidor. To clean it, you should wipe the interior thoroughly with alcohol and then sand the interior to provide a "fresh" surface on the cedar. Clean out the dust, clean again with alcohiol, and then wipe with distilled water. You should add a small humidification device. There are a number of different options. I use devices that utilize propylene glycol. I also have a small unit that measures temperature and humidity. The following site contains a wealth of information concerning cigars and humidors: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cigars-2143/
fricky

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Doug,

Just to clarify, I assume you mean rubbing alcohol?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby fricky » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:48 pm

You are correct; however, you could use ethyl alcohol.
fricky

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Got the box cleaned out. 3 of the interior sides are removable. Will sand tomorrow. On the bottom of the box it says "T.P. 62 PA. Class E. The ordinary retail price of the cigars herein contained is intended by the manufacturer to be more than 8 cents each and not more than 15 cents each. 50 Cigars, Casa Blanca Cigar Co. York PA"
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Bob,

Could you post a few photos?

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I've tried posting photos, but haven't had any luck...yet. My box seems to be working OK. Holding at about 70% humidity. Added moisture via HumiCase, which I use for my guitar. Serves the same purpose & appears to have added enough moisture to have the box at what I believe is the proper level of humidity. I gave out a few cigars to the guys at work. I heard that it's a pretty good smoke, relatively smooth and mild. I'm going to give one a try some evening soon; hopefully with a glass of bourbon.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Good going, Bob! Sounds like a nice old humidor.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Well, I burned one today! It was a hand rolled number I bought while in Ybor City, Tampa. Honduran & Nicaraguan tobacco. Pretty good. Relatively mild in flavor, nice aroma. Burned good and long. Enjoyed it with a couple of pours of Birthday Bourbon. Life is good. :)
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ggilbertva » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:46 am

Bob - a suggestion if I may. We have all had bourbon at various proofs and have even taken a bourbon like Stagg and diluted it down to enjoy the profile at differing proofs. A similar argument can be made of cigars, specifically the level of humidity. We've all heard of the 70/70 rule (70%/70 degrees) but I've found that 70% humidity is the absolute upper end. I keep my cigars between 62-64%. I know some folks that keep their cigars at 58%. Point is, it comes down to taste. A drier cigar (again IMHO), exhibits more flavor at a drier state. If I try and smoke a cigar coming off at 70% humidity and go outside where it's humid, the cigar has trouble staying lit....it's just too moist (which can mask some flavor components). Also, a more humid cigar will become spongy as you smoke it because of the higher moister content combined with the heat. I view changing the humidity level of a cigar akin to changing a bourbons proof. If your cigars are stable at 70%, try pulling a cigar out and dry boxing it over a day or two to bring the % down before smoking it and see how it changes for you (if at all). Just as there's no right or wrong way to drink bourbon, the same can be said of cigars, but it's fun to experiment to see how a profile can change with subtle tweaks.
ggilbertva

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks Greg. I'll keep that in mind. The cigar thing is new to me, so I'm currently getting my toes wet. I enjoyed yesterdays combo event, and will experiment a bit more. I've got 1 more type of cigar currently to try. Then I'll need to look at previous posts here and see what I might want to buy & try.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ggilbertva » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Brewer wrote:Thanks Greg. I'll keep that in mind. The cigar thing is new to me, so I'm currently getting my toes wet. I enjoyed yesterdays combo event, and will experiment a bit more. I've got 1 more type of cigar currently to try. Then I'll need to look at previous posts here and see what I might want to buy & try.

Bob - I'm more than happy to provide some recommendations if you wish. Just shoot me a PM.
ggilbertva

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:17 am

Well, I ventured out the other day, with a few ideas from our good members. Bought 4 cigars: Nat Sherman, CAO Gold, A Fuente Gran Reserva, and a cigar that's only available at the store I was at called Pride. There's info about it at the Huntington Humidor website. It sounded good, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Do you guys buy cigars on-line? If so, are there any that you recommend or avoid? Are prices better? These 4 set me back $34 I believe. I may order some from my Florida connection which I posted about previously. It was a good cigar and I think the price is reasonable.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ggilbertva » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm

If that A. Fuente Gran Reserva has the black ring at the bottom of the band, that's a great cigar; have a couple in humidor. As for online sites, there are two that I use

JR Cigars
Cigars International

I have not tried Famous Smoke, Thompson Cigars, etc. Key is to look at all of them for a specific cigar and see who's deal is the best.
ggilbertva

Return to The Humidor