Woodford Reserve Experimental Bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Woodford Reserve Experimental Bourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I think we sometimes forget that the Master's Collection is Woodford Reserve's experimental program, releasing a new experimental product every year.

John Hansell broke the news about this year's Maple Food Finish Bourbon on July 16. I kept quiet because several months ago Woodford offered me an exclusive, for WHISKY Magazine, to reveal the next eight or so years of the Master's Collection releases. I submitted the story about six weeks ago but wanted to preserve the exclusive for the magazine, which is now out so I feel free to talk about it.

The full story is in WHISKY Magazine Issue No. 89, publication date October 2010 (but it's out now).

The 2010 release is, indeed, mature Woodford Reserve bourbon finished in toasted sugar maple barrels. As with all Master's Collection releases, it is 100 percent pot still Woodford. Sadly, my exclusive access did not include a taste of this one, but it did include tastes of some of the other works-in-progress.

I've posted the full list on my blog here, but of course it's in the magazine too.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Woodford Reserve Experimental Bourbon

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Looks like Woodford has a very interesting array of items to look forward to. The Straight Rye Whiskey with the low barrel entry proof & both of the 100% malt whiskies sound very intriguing.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 pm

I, for one, will be buying the new WREB when it is available to me.

As I write this I am sipping the 1838 Sweet Mash Bourbon from an earlier release (2008 I believe) and find its unique qualities to my liking, but not so much that I would use it as my every day pour. Still, nothing wrong with having a special occasion bourbon.........I have lots of them depending on mood, desire, etc., etc.

I applaud their efforts to offer different bourbons.........this in and of itself is an educational exercise in how different recipes and treatments affect taste.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I think I'm gonna try it too Mike. A Maple finished Bourbon just sounds good to me.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings