What are your top five favorite Scotch Whiskies?

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

What are your top five favorite Scotch Whiskies?

Unread postby John Wesley » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm

This is a common question that is always asked on Scotch Whisky forums. Mine change often and I generally limit my choices to readily available Scotch Whiskies as it is annoying to here some one wax poetically about some whiskie that has not been available for years, or costs more than a mortgage payment. That being said, mine are.

Any Springbank,
Caol ila 12
Aberlour Abundh
Any Highland Park
Ardbeg Uigeadail

And for a daily dram, Glenmorangie 10, oops thats 6, oh well, hard to limit it to 5

JW
John Wesley

Re: What are your top five favorite Scotch Whiskies?

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, John Wesley, I agree on the a'bunadh and the Uigeadail.

I would add the Macallan Cask Strength, the Bowmore Darkest Islay, and the Lagavulin 15 YO.

A regular pour would be the Balvenie 12 YO Doublewood, the Aberlour 15 YO, the Highland Park 15 YO............and yes, even the Johnny Walker Black Label, a blend.

I believe all of these are under $60??? except for the Lagavulin.

I prefer bourbon over scotch..........but a nice dram now and again is very welcome.

Have you tried some of the barrel strength bourbons or ryes? They are rich in barrel flavors like the above cask strength scotchs.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby John Wesley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

Yes Mike, I have had a few cask strength Bourbons. I prefer the higher proof Bourbons for that very reason. I see you have a Bowmore on your list. I like Bowmores as a general rule. They made a port casked whisky called Dawn a few years ago that was really interesting, a typical smoke Islay with a sweet finish. It got great reviews but did not sell particularly well I hear. If you like Islays, you should really try the Ardbeg Uigeadail. It is a huge unchill filtered cask strength islay. It has won many many awards including Whisky of the year. It is about the same price as Lagavulin, but is cask strength, (60% APV).

JW
John Wesley

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:51 pm

I also tend to stay with what I can readily get.

*Caol Ila 12
Macallan 12 and Cask strength

*Aberlour double cask and A'bunadh
*Lagavulin 16
*Talisker 10
Ardmore traditional cask
Ardbed 10 and Uigeadail
*Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask... Cask Strength when available
Bunnahabhain 12
Dalmore 12
ebo

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Not to be a nit, but the question posted would indeed include those whiskies not in production or are hard to find. The fact is, one of my top 5 whiskies very well may be something not found anymore which is the case with a couple of my top 5 bourbons. For me personally, I like to hear others impressions of hard to find or out of production whiskies as that's part of the overall experience. I know where I can get a 1970's era Springbank. If someone has experience with that Scotch, then I'm certainly interested in hearing their impressions and that may prompt me to pull the trigger on purchasing that particular bottle.

I agree there can be some folks that post about some hard to find bourbon as a way to show off, but this site is dedicated to bourbon specifically and whisk(e)y in general. I would certainly encourage all participants to share their whisk(e)y experiences openly whether the distillate is current or not.

To the question, my Scotch selection is limited as the bulk of my collection revolves around bourbon. My current open bottles that I enjoy are:

Aberlour a'bunadh, Batch 29
Balvenie 15 yr SB, Singularity from Julio's
Tomatin 12 year
Edradour Cask Strength Port wood finish
Balblair '97
ggilbertva

Unread postby birdman1099 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Since I am new to the Scotch world, I have not had too many. But the ones I've had have been quite good. My top 5 (currently) would be:

Springbank 12/100
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Scotts Selection Glen Grant 1967 vintage 36 yr
Talisker Distillers edition 1992
Aberlour a'bunadh - all batches.....

And Greg... I would higly recomment any Springbank from that era. (btw, what bottling are you speaking of from the 70's? Possible trade for a 12/100?) :D
birdman1099

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:06 pm

birdman1099 wrote:Since I am new to the Scotch world, I have not had too many. But the ones I've had have been quite good. My top 5 (currently) would be:

Springbank 12/100
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Scotts Selection Glen Grant 1967 vintage 36 yr
Talisker Distillers edition 1992
Aberlour a'bunadh - all batches.....

And Greg... I would higly recomment any Springbank from that era. (btw, what bottling are you speaking of from the 70's? Possible trade for a 12/100?) :D

Scott, I'm not sure yet as I have to check out the bottle more closely. I know the older 12/100 are highly desirable. I'm also looking at a a couple other vintage scotches but haven't made a decision yet. My focus for quite a few years has been bourbon, exclusively, but over the past year or two, I've been slowly adding Scotch and Irish to the collection. In fact, I'll finally get my grubby paws on a Redbreast 15 year in the next couple of weeks. I'm also eyeballing a Balblair '89. I'm frightened at the prospect of finding so many other great whiskies (not bourbon) that my wife may finally put her foot down and say enough is enough.
ggilbertva

Unread postby spy247 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 am

Well John I although I am a bourbon man through and through, I am partial to a few single malts.

1. Glenfarclas 15
2. Highland Park 18
3. Glemorangie Astar
4. Balvenie Portwood
5. Glenlivet 18

and my standard pour is Highland Park 12
spy247

Unread postby sailor22 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 am

I'm very new to Scotch and will learn from the lists you all have provided. So far I have only a few I would call favorites - I would still almost always prefer Bourbon or Rye.

Aberlour a'bunadh - all batches that I have tried
Compass Box Flaming Heart
Compass Box Eluthera
Springbank 12/100 (thanks to Birdman via Tony)
sailor22

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 pm

sailor22 wrote:I'm very new to Scotch and will learn from the lists you all have provided. So far I have only a few I would call favorites - I would still almost always prefer Bourbon or Rye.

Aberlour a'bunadh - all batches that I have tried
Compass Box Flaming Heart
Compass Box Eluthera
Springbank 12/100 (thanks to Birdman via Tony)

Is that Springbank a vintage? What's the level of peat/smoke?
ggilbertva

Unread postby sailor22 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 pm

It's an older bottle Birdman found. I believe it's called "double dark" - it is dark. Plenty of smoke without the iodine - lots of body with a big mouth feel - I made it to be a click or two sweeter than most the other Scotches I have had, but remember I'm a real noob when it comes to Scotch.
sailor22

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am

First off, let me say that I have a particular fondness for all things Islay. I love the characteristics of those Single Malts: the peat, smoky nose & taste, the saltiness. So, I'm going to cheat and say that my number one Single Malt is everything from the Islay region.
2. I also love Srpingbank malts. Excellent stuff
3. Talisker 10 YO; very different flavors in comparison to the Islay malts, but it too has a smoky aroma & taste that I enjoy. Also lots of pepper flavors.
4. Macallan 18 YO
5. Highland Park 12 YO
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Brewer wrote:First off, let me say that I have a particular fondness for all things Islay. I love the characteristics of those Single Malts: the peat, smoky nose & taste, the saltiness. So, I'm going to cheat and say that my number one Single Malt is everything from the Islay region.
2. I also love Srpingbank malts. Excellent stuff
3. Talisker 10 YO; very different flavors in comparison to the Islay malts, but it too has a smoky aroma & taste that I enjoy. Also lots of pepper flavors.
4. Macallan 18 YO
5. Highland Park 12 YO

There have been a number of folks that speak highly of the Highland Park 12 year so I'm think I may have to grab one to try.
ggilbertva

Unread postby RogerB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Glinlivet Nadurra
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Ardbeg Uigeidail(sp?)
Highland Park 18

however on another day, I could easily give a laundry list of favorites.
RogerB

Unread postby helios » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm

I have recently purchased Highland Park 12 year. It is a daily, yet affordable upscale single malt. Smooth, smokey and a tang of peat. I also include in my stable the Laphroaig 10 yr and Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg. For mixing highballs, I use Dewars White Label.
Go to WhiskeyFest at New York next week!
helios

Next

Return to Scotch Whisky