Old Rip Versus Pappy - Van Winkle 15

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Rip Versus Pappy - Van Winkle 15

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:17 pm

For the most part I'm told this was simply a bottle design switch. How ever some contend that for what ever reason there is a slight change in flavor /profile. Wondering if y'all have opinions or insight as to any differences on the two bottles.

I've yet to taste the Pappy 15.
White Lightning

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:24 pm

I've been told by Preston VW that the bourbon is the same (source). I have both but have yet to do a side-by-side. The only way to tell for sure is a blind test.
Dave

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:28 pm

When Julian was at the store, we got the honor of tasting the old and new together. Mark and Bob can chime in on their thoughts, but I found that the new was a different flavor profile. Julian even said that his son Preston had played a bigger role in choosing the barrels for this new bottling and that they were shooting for a flavor closer to the Pappy 20. I found the new to be more intense and a bit spicier. The former 15 seemed to have rounder edges to me and came across as a bit softer in the mouth. Both are outstanding, despite any flavor differences. All hail to the Van Winkle family for giving us superb whiskey! :salute:
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:35 pm

Yes, but did you taste it blind?
Dave

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:38 pm

Back in August I was at BT tasting from several barrels of VWSR 12yo Lot B with Julian Van Winkle (and bought a barrel as many of you know). After the tasting, Julian and I walked to the bottling room and discussed his various products, etc. He told me about his "new" 15yo being bottled in the cognac bottle with a label similar to the Family Reserve 20 and 23 yo's. At that time he said he and his son were picking barrels for a slightly different flavor profile than the older 15yo....something more in line with the Family Reserves. I asked if it was going to be more expensive than the older 15yo and he smiled and said "probably". I had some at the Whiskey Garden at the Fest and it's quite a bourbon. I haven't done a side-by-side......but per Julian, it has a "different flavor profile"......but probably comes from the same source.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Binny's is selling the stuff for $39.99 while their ORVW 15 107 is $43.99. But I just checked their website and it's gone. So they've either sold out or its a special order.
Dave

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks! Very interesting guys. It's been sort of my feeling not becuase of the bottle but because of tasting for a barrel purchase that the available 15 year old whiskey tasted a lot more like a cross between the 12 and 20. In other words more Pappy-ish. The older Rip bottles (personal opinion) tasted related but in it's own regard more unique than related. Where as the 20 tastes like a more nurtured and seasoned 12.

In other words the samples provided for the potential barrel purchase - tasted a lot more like Pappy 12 than previous bottles I've owned of the ORVW 15. To me the old style bottles of recent had the biggest vanilla burst to be found in a bourbon.

Too bad, I'm sure I'll appreciate the "new" style but will certainly miss what was bottled in the Old Rip Van Winkle bottles if not exactly the same!
White Lightning

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:27 pm

White Lightning wrote:will certainly miss what was bottled in the Old Rip Van Winkle bottles

I agree completely. The old rip bottles were distinctive and I hope the profile is not lost. Closes (my opinion) might be the ER.
Dave

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:25 pm

Dave, no, we didn't taste it blind. We were sort of riding high after a fab in-store tasting and at the last minute before going off to dinner we did a quickie side by side.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Nokia » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:57 pm

Do you have both in stock now?
Nokia

Unread postby Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:29 pm

My bottle of Pappy 15 is still sealed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little different from the most recent ORVW15 bottlings. After all, it seemed to me that the ORVW15 profile changed a little over time. In particular, I think the last bottles I got before the switch to Pappy bottles were the sweetest, most vanilla-y ORVW15 I've had.

As an aside, Sam's has a special, un-chill-filtered ORVW bottling from BT's barrel program that is really excellent! It's the best ORVW I've had.
Curmudgeon

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:16 pm

Last night a friend came over for a "guy's night out" bourbon tasting.
He's a big scotch drinker and wasn't sure about bourbon.

The line up (in order) was as follows:
Elmer T Lee - Single barrel #6 - from Civic Center Liquors in SF (90 proof)
Blanton's Original- (90 proof)
Old Rip Van Winkle 15 - Un-chill-filtered single barrel from Sam's - not sure if this is the same as Curmudgeon's post(?) - (107 proof)
Pappy Van winkle 15 - Single Barrel - from Civic Center Liquors in SF (107 proof)
Eagle Rare 17 - This year's release (90 proof)

We did a side by side of the ORVW and Pappy's and for the both of us the Pappy won hands down. The ORVW started hotter and didn't have the long finish I like. The Pappy was smooth all the way and had a long vanilla finish. It's possible since this was a special bottling for CCL it may be different than the regular release Pappy 15, I don't know. I do know I liked it better.

The vote for my preference was: ER17, ETL (for the price/flavor ratio), PVW15, ORVW15, and dead last was the Blantons. It's funny since a year ago I would have told you that Blanton's is my favorite bourbon.

My friend walked away still not totally sold on bourbon. But said he certainly had a better appreciation for it than he had before.
CgarSmoker

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:17 am

I'll bet that rocked his world. HARD! Good Show CigarSmoker! Great line up. HUZZAH!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:21 am

CgarSmoker wrote:Last night a friend came over for a "guy's night out" bourbon tasting.

Now THAT'S a great idea! Tina has participated in a Mom's night out each month since 2001. I think I've got some Dad's night credit on the ledger.

What an amazing lineup. If you're friend stayed on the dark (scotch) side after that, he may never be converted. But keep trying!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby CgarSmoker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:11 pm

Dave,
The husbands used to sit home too. Until we realized that we could have fun too.
Here in SF, restaurants are plentiful, so the women have a rule to NEVER go to the same place twice.
The guys however, can usually be found in the same sports bar each month, playing pool and drinking beer(or "other" beverages) each month. We usually spend a fraction of the $$ on our evening and have a great time. I highly recommend it.
CgarSmoker

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings