Perfection, mixification, and obfuscation

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Perfection, mixification, and obfuscation

Unread postby Mike » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Does it matter that us bourbon drinkers never find the 'perfect' bourbon?

Of course not. For one thing, what is perfect to our taste, mood, physical status, prior eats and drinks, and general ill temper will change almost from hour to hour. So.............there is and never will be a 'perfect' bourbon, and choosing a favorite should always be considered a temporary distraction from the real bourbon drinkers' task............finding the 'perfect' bourbon.

But wait, you say, you just said there is no such thing as a 'perfect bourbon'. But that, my friends is a trivial point. It follows illogically that because there is no 'perfect' bourbon, the pursuit of such an animal is futile. We have left the world of logic for one of much more interesting stuff.

Unlike mountain climbers, who say they climb such and such moutain because it is there, we pursue the 'perfect' bourbon (at least in part) because it is not there. Yet, our palates cry out for it, illusive as it is. True, this pursuit is not for everyone and who is to judge as to just who is the most deprived.......the man or woman who likes a particular bourbon and sticks to it (or a handfull of others), or the man or woman who seems to need yet another bourbon to sip in hopes of a new and exciting experience.

An Aside: As to those truly moderate folks who are not in pursuit of anything more than a nice sip to suit this day.............well, fie on them! They are grownups and there are so few of them that they just don't matter. Human Beings can never give up the idea of perfection, irrespective of its achievability. If you believe otherwise, you are not paying attention.

So us bourbon drinkers are in plentiful company (religion, sports, the arts, those loathsome political talking heads all come to mind). But, worse is yet to come............most of us want to be the first to find perfection, which in and of itself means it will elude us completely.

Still, the truth is no real barrier here and neither is selfishness. Were my pursuit of the 'perfect' bourbon unselfish, would I be here, now, going on incoherently about it? Not lucking fikely!

The answer (surely you knew I was going to offer one) is not to give up pursuing the 'perfect' bourbon, but to narrow the time frame in which 'perfection' is to be measured.

I just had a 'perfect' bourbon a few moments ago. It was a vatting of 1 part Maker's Mark 90 proof, 1 part Weller Antique 7 YO 107 proof, and 3 parts Elmer T Lee 90 proof bourbons. This bourbon is 'perfect' for me at this moment (there are no moments aside from this one happening now) because I am in charge of what constitutes 'perfection' and because it takes these three bourbons and improves on the weaknesses of each. The Maker's has no depth and no finish. the Weller is slightly too hot with alcohol, and the Elmer T Lee has a weak opening. Mixed together they fit my description of 'perfect'.............for now, all that is necessary!

'Perfection' is fleeting, is possible (but may have to be constructed), and is attainable. Long live the perfection of now!
Last edited by Mike on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Perfection, mixification, and obfuscation

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Bravo! Bravo! (with sounds of clapping and huzzah! as well in a riotous bedlam of approval) Encore! Encore!
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Most folks recognize (or at least accept) Mike Veach as the authority on Kentucky Bourbon. Which he is. And as long as "most folks" also assign the term "Kentucky Bourbon" to all American-made spirits they consider to be "legitimate" (which is an error, of course), that honor extends to other types.

There are several contributors here who I would consider authorities on the science and practical skills of distilling.

There are at least three contributors here who I consider "honorable pains-in-the-ass"; those who (with total respect) ask annoying questions of the various authorities and offer different scenarios and possible conclusions. The list should include Gary Gilman, Linn Spencer, and hopefully, myself. I would include Chuck Cowdery, but much more so on his own blog and his subscription-supported Bourbon Country Reader than here.

And then there is our star philosopher, Mike Bowers (Mike). Long after I've slammed my hands down on the desk in front of my keyboard, cursed at whoever's ignorant, ego-centric, elitist post I've just read, and sworn I'll never waste my time reading internet postings about American spirits again, I remember something I saw Mike post on BourbonEnthusiast and I come back.

Mike, we've got plenty of experts.
We've got plenty of pundits.
We've even got more than enough PIA's.
There's only one Mike Bowers.
Thank you!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, John, I am flattered by your comments. They are appreciated but (in truth) excessive (I only read them 40 times to determine that............shame on me!).

The only real requirement for being here is that you love whiskey (and not for the wrong reasons) or are curious about it! If you are here for any other reason you are excused.

I do often wish that other folks were as willing to throw the bull shit as readily as I do (this is not a serious site is it?).

John, I hope the day will come when I meet you in person.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 am

Now Mike, one man's BS is another man's philosophy. I just think you need to keep doing what you are doing because I enjoy it all.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 pm

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!

Am I an offical P.I.T.A. (Pain-in-the-ass)?

And here I thought I was a royal P.I.T.A.

OOPS! I guess Gary's a Royal Canadian P.I.T.A.

Bob's your uncle!

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings