The Ultimate Old Fashioned

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

The Ultimate Old Fashioned

Unread postby Clayton » Sat May 29, 2010 7:07 am

Folks I've searched on here with no luck and if I've missed it I'm sorry but I'm looking for the best ever Old Fashioned recipe. Can you also help with a readily available Whiskey I may actually be able to buy here?

Any help would be fantastic!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Dorothy Parker
Clayton

Re: The Ultimate Old Fashioned

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat May 29, 2010 10:10 am

The Old Fashioned was invented here in Louisville at the Pendennis Club. You might check their website for a recipe.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat May 29, 2010 10:17 am

Check this link for a Pendennis Club recipe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby scratchline » Sat May 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Okay. This is a very loaded question with a lot of history to it. Luckily Robert Hess has done a lot of the grunt work and collected it at this site:

http://www.drinkboy.com/Articles/Article.aspx?itemid=20

If you scroll down you will see the publication history of the cocktail. Sometimes I like the muddled fruit. Generally, I do not, preferring a cocktail that is drier and more dominated by the whiskey. I also prefer rye to bourbon. Go with something with a lot of backbone, 100 proof if possible. Wild Turkey Rye or Rittenhouse Bonded. Old Grand-dad is another good choice. And be sure to stir long and hard. Sugar syrup mixes more easily, but you lose the abrasive action of the sugar crystals against the citrus peel. This drink is a sure and simple test of a bartender.

Best.

-Mike

I noticed after posting that in most recipes the lemon peel is a garnish. I sometimes muddle it gently with the sugar and bitters to extract more of the oil.
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby Clayton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 am

Great stuff guys, thank you very much.

Should cherries be fresh or maraschino would be ok? Only other question would be what is Seltzer??
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Dorothy Parker
Clayton

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:34 am

I have allways seen a maraschino cherry added as the last ingredient after the other ingredients are muddled and mixed. Seltzer is unflavored carbonated water. You can just add a teaspoon of regular water to the sugar and bitters to help disolve it. If you are muddling the lemon and orange pieces, probably don't need the dash of water.
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Okay Clayton, here it is, plain and simple.

Gayle

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink407.html
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby scratchline » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 pm

LOL! That's hilarious and hideous.

From the ridiculous to the sublime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby Clayton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks again, looking forward to making some authentically!
Clayton

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 am

What DrinkBoy says may well be true. Old Fashioned may simply have meant a whiskey prepared in the "old" way. That was with a little sweetener (gum syrup, simple syrup, orgeat, etc), some bitters, the whiskey, ice, and maybe a lemon peel garnish.

Cocktail Boothby's American Bar-Tender (1895) lists just such a cocktail as a whiskey cocktail.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby stresssolutions » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 pm

The drinkboy method does indeed create a delightful drink. I've yet to try it with rye, and I'm anxious to try it. Sometimes I use a whole orange slice.

I often use an entire orange slice, muddled with the sugar and bitters. I always eat the orange when about done with the bourbon. Yes, I wash the orange before cutting it. Delicious!
Last edited by stresssolutions on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby general1002 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:32 pm

I have been searching for the ultimate old fashioned recipe also, and now I have it thanks to you. And thank you for the idea about using the lemon to pull out more of the oil. That is a great idea.

Return to Bourbon Recipes