Wild Turkey Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:58 pm

I just read Gary's review of this product (excellent review Gary!), and I was wondering if others felt as Gary seems to feel that the product has improved lately. If so how do you think it has improved?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:08 am

I've always liked the WT rye, even while first discovering it right after initially enjoying Julian's 13yo Family Reserve Rye.
But the truth is, between currently and alternately enjoying Sazerac and some of Julian's old 12yo Old Time Rye, I haven't purchased the Wild Turkey for quite a while now. So, if it is even better than it used to be, to me that is notable -- (as I began) I've always like it.
TNbourbon

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:54 am

Mike, let me say in turn I enjoyed your review of Old Potrero no less! I believe that version is in the regular market and possibly, judging by the color and your comments, is older than any Potrero released to date (I recall the original rye and single malt versions were released at one and two years old). I may buy it again, despite the high price, if it is aged in the range of 4 years at least, which the one you reviewed may be (since as we know bottles often contain whiskey older than the age stated on the label. The stated age on your bottle is 3 years). Certainly a 3-4 year old aged rye would have been a respectable aged whiskey in the mid-1800's and as you have often pointed out, if distilled and entered at low proofs should have plenty of flavor at that age, which the sample you reviewed does, evidently. By the way, Wild Turkey rye as currently bottled certainly is deeper and richer than before. I can't prove it but believe the distillery is focusing on this product more carefully and putting older whiskeys into it. The "old barrel" notes in the aftertaste were not in the Wild Turkey I recall from a few years ago. It was always good but is almost perfect now. I mean, you hardly notice the extra proof when sipping it, which cannot be said of most whiskeys 100 proof and more.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:33 pm

I've been drinking it only for a couple years so don't know how it's changed over the years. I've always liked it. In my parts, it can be had for about $16/bottle which in my view makes in one of the most outstanding values of any Bourbon or Rye. My alltime favorite Rye is the ORVW OTR 12. I find the general flavor profile of the WT Rye to be more similar to the OTR 12 than to the Saz or ORVW FR 13. Since I'm down to my last 2 1/2 bottles of OTR, the WT Rye makes a good substitute.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:22 pm

I find WT rye to be a stunning change of pace. I had the pleasure of first tasting it under the guidance of Jimmy Russel at a private event I was holding. After tasting JB rye, I was a bit skeptical that any major producer would be putting out a fantastic rye (VW13 and Lot 40 are my two faves). I was happy to be proven wrong. What a fantastic bottling! For the money, it is a gem. Very sturdy masculine tastes. I find it to be a great bottle for "man" nights like poker, camping, etc. Good with earthier cigars as well: Bolivar Coronas Extras, Montecristos #2, or full bodied Nicarauguans.
mickblueeyes

Unread postby Oregone » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:13 pm

I buy this on a fairly regular basis and I've got to say I don't see any "improvement". It's a great whiskey but it strikes me as very consistent from bottle to bottle.

--Jeff
Oregone

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:21 am

I hadn't had it in almost 3 years, and I am quite sure it was different back then. Of course this is just an impression, you may be right (if you've been drinking it for longer, that is). Anyway you cut it this is a great whiskey. Whiskey is a funny thing, I see some brands sold for 2 or 3 times the price that aren't nearly as good. In scotch, I see brands sold for 5-10 times the price that offer just average quality in relation to WT rye.

Sometimes old stand-bys are best.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:05 pm

Gary,

WT Rye is a great buy, as are so many other American whisk(e)y's. However, when Mark and I compared a number of ryes a few months ago, we felt that WT rye wasn't as good as VW rye, Sazarac rye and Classic Cask Rye. I realize that all of these are increasingly pricier than the WT, but I think they're worth the extra dough.

I had an opportunity to taste Rittenhouse BIB Rye, & thought that is an awesome rye for the money. Now, I'm hoping that LeNell will get that back into inventory, so I can grab a bottle of 2.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:52 pm

Well, Bob, question of taste. I found ultimately Classic Cask 21 was too woody for me. I know I wrote a post or two that praised it but after a few pours I found it hard to get past the woodiness. Some of the writers for Whisky Magazine refer to, "oak grip" or "grippy" to mean too oaky a taste. I found this in Classic Cask rye. Sazerac 18 is fairly dry and tannic as well. I have decided that with exceptions (notably ORVW 15 year old bourbon, probably because of its sweetness) I don't like bourbon or rye any more over 10-12 years old; sometimes even that is too old. ORVW 13 year old rye was at the right point for me in earlier years but the latest bottling (F series) is a shade too tannic for me although I still like it. Ditto Hirsch 16 as originally released and gold wax version vs. gold foil version.

Wild Turket rye for me gets the balance right, the older barrel notes are there but aren't predominant. I like Rittenhouse Rye too, and Pikesville, for their vigor but WT rye has the edge on them, IMO.

The more I think about and sample whiskey the more I believe that with some exceptions it should not be aged too long. This is why e.g. Elmer Lee (at the top of the range for me at 10-12 years), Blanton (6-8 years), VOB 86 or 90 proof (6 years), Ancient Age Bonded (probably 6 years), get it right for me. Woodford Reserve too, also approximately 6 years old.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey