Bottle of Whiskey Dad left Me

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Bottle of Whiskey Dad left Me

Unread postby Phil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 pm

I have a bottle of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Aged 16 Years Very Rare Collectors Item Bottled in Bond 100 Proof Limited Reserve. Says on the label "Bottled from a Limited Number of Barrels each yeilding about 128 bottles. Each bottle of this bourbon is individually numbered and registered" Dowling Distillers Tyrone, Anderson County, Kentucky. It has a tag around the neck says somewhat the same message but signed by "Ernest Ripy" 5th Generation Distiller and has a sticker on it that says "This is Bottle No 7" Distilled by Old Poindexter Dist Co. Lexington, Ky Reg. Dist No 5 Dist of KY.. Bottled by DOWLING DISTILLERS Tyone, Anderson County KY D.S.P. KY 27 Seal over the top of the bottle says "Spring 1953" and under that says "Spring 1969" with the numbers on the seal of "07175466" on the top of the bottle on the seal is a round picture of a man with a name of "Carlisle" and along the top of the seal it says "Old Poindexter Distillery" in red lettering and the bottle itself has raised lettering that says "Federal Laws Forbids Sale or reuse of this bottle".

Can anybody give me any information on this bottle of Whiskey that my swore he would open when older brother became 21, and then he swore he would open it when I turned 21 and then he swore he would open when my younger sister turned 21 and then he left it to me and I swore I would open it when oldest turned turned 21 and now she will turn 22 on June 29 of this year and I am thinking of opening it to enjoy with all of the kids that it was promised to. Although my next daughter turns 21 in 5 yrs and my youngest turn 21 in 6 yrs so who knows.

Any info that I can get I would be happy beyond your belief.

Can I still drink it if I do open it up ?

Does it have any value at all before I think about opening it ?

Again, any info would be greatly appreciated !

Thank You in advance !

Phil Vigil
Elk Grove, Ca
Phil

Re: Bottle of Whiskey Dad left Me

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I believe Heaven Hill owns the Dowling brand name, and sells Dowling bourbon. I have seen it in KY. The modern stuff is probably very different than the bottle in question.
PaulO

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm

One thing I forgot; if the cork is ok, not too much evaporation, whiskey is not cloudy. It's probably fine to drink.
PaulO

Unread postby Phil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info and yes the cork is still in great shape, evaporation is minimal, and there is no cloudiness whatever. It's very clear and dark. Actually can't wait to take a drink ! I am bourbon drinker and not many friends are with the exception of 1. My brother enjoys Scotch with I really can't handle the taste.

Again, thanks for the info !

Phil
Phil

Unread postby shoshani » Fri May 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Phil wrote:Says on the label "Bottled from a Limited Number of Barrels each yeilding about 128 bottles. Each bottle of this bourbon is individually numbered and registered" Dowling Distillers Tyrone, Anderson County, Kentucky. It has a tag around the neck says somewhat the same message but signed by "Ernest Ripy" 5th Generation Distiller and has a sticker on it that says "This is Bottle No 7" Distilled by Old Poindexter Dist Co. Lexington, Ky Reg. Dist No 5 Dist of KY.. Bottled by DOWLING DISTILLERS Tyone, Anderson County KY D.S.P. KY 27 Seal over the top of the bottle says "Spring 1953" and under that says "Spring 1969" with the numbers on the seal of "07175466" on the top of the bottle on the seal is a round picture of a man with a name of "Carlisle" and along the top of the seal it says "Old Poindexter Distillery" in red lettering and the bottle itself has raised lettering that says "Federal Laws Forbids Sale or reuse of this bottle".

The green seal is a Bottled In Bond seal; Carlisle was the Secretary of the Treasury at the time the Bottled In Bond act was passed, I believe.

I'm not at all hip on the history of Dowling; however, Ernest Ripy is the man who trained the venerable Jimmy Russel at what was at one time the J. T. S. Brown distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY - better known today as the Wild Turkey Distillery.

Whiskey is made to be consumed. So long as what's in the bottle is not suffering from cork-taint, I recommend opening it and savoring it on special occasions. Whiskey made back then is different from what you buy today, because requirements have changed and not necessarily for the better. (That, and it's squarely against the law to sell alcohol without a license, so the sale of bottles of spirits by individuals is strongly discouraged just about everywhere.)
shoshani

Unread postby bunghole » Fri May 14, 2010 5:35 pm

"Federal Laws Forbids Sale or reuse of this bottle".

That can only mean ONE thing.

Drink it man, Drink it!

Happy to help,
Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby johnnywalker » Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

on a silent auction i got the same bottle as you have!!!!, the number on it is 07175458, where can i get an estimate on the value of it?
thanks , (scotch drinker unless it is a fund raiser)
johnnywalker

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 am

The best value of bourbon is in it's drinking.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Return to Collector's Corner