A little mixing, a little tasting = a $28 great bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

A little mixing, a little tasting = a $28 great bourbon

Unread postby Mike » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

I like Old Taylor 80 proof bourbon. But, it is a bit light for my palate.

I like G T Stagg 140+ bourbon. But, it is a bit strong for my palate.

Old Taylor costs about $13 for 750 ml.

Stagg costs about $75 for 750 ml.

Three parts Old Taylor and 1 part Stagg make for about a 96 proof, first rate bourbon.

Three bottles of Old Taylor @ $13 = $39

One bottle of Stagg @ $75 = $75

Add $39 and $75 and you have four bottles that can be mixed into 3 liters of excellent whiskey at a total cost of $114, or $28.50 per 750 ml bottle.

As good or better than any $30 bourbon on the market.

Mix yo own high quality whiskey, save yo money, drink great whiskey, tell yo Momma, tell yo Pa, give some to the neighbor (and his dog)!

Now we cooking!! Imo have me another sip of Taysta........and I'm giving some to my dog too!

'Good Boy, Barleycorn! Now what have I tolt you about drinking too fast.............now, here is another 3 ml for you.........and No, I am not being stingy!'.

Buffalo girls, want ya come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight! Buffalo girls want ya come out tonight and dance by the light of the moon!

Taysta improving my self esteem already soon enough! Improve yo self esteem with a Taysta this stuff!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: A little mixing, a little tasting = a $28 great bourbon

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Good call Mike (not sure about the singing). It amazes me such vatting, an old American and international practice in the whisky world, is practiced by so few, even old hands on the bourbon boards. Something about the "label" chills people into thinking it is "official", that they cannot do the same (or better). Why?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm

gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 pm

gillmang wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X7hz4D7cBg&feature=related

For Mike.

Gary

Can't thank you enough, Gary, for the music link. Buffalo Gals and three versions of Streets of Laredo (I do love Johnny Cash's version best). This music give me a buzz most as good as a drap of Old Grand Dad.

You do know, don't you, that I was a cowboy when I was a kid. I practiced my bowlegged walk many hours and rode my imaginary horse (I can't remember his name though) like the wind. Didn't have much trouble with the drawl, it was all around me.

Thank you!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 pm

It's a pleasure Mike, glad you liked it. No drawls like that where I grew up, but I had my silver cap six shooters, holster and Dan'l Boone get-up. We was all cowboys one time. Only drap then was ginger ale, which in Montreal meant any kind of soda. Now the draps are different and the cowboy dreams of youth seem ever further away, but the miracle of youtube brings em closer. That dulcimer was cool, kind of bagpipes-like, old Irish Ulster (Scots-Irish) in origin I'd guess.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Here is one those Streets of Laredo. Note the comments, it's an old Irish song originally, called Bard of Armagh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UKBjC ... re=related

Whiskey and mountain music - both came to America from Ulster - that's why they go well together.

Gary

N. B. The singer is Marty Robbins, a fine artist he was.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm

I actually did a little vatting that I think turned out quite nicely. 1 part Ezra Brooks 90 proof : 2 parts Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star 90 proof. One splash of water optional, but it worked well. The Ezra Brooks is very young and has some good flavor going on, but is a bit rough. The AAA is a bit on the tannic side, but has good flavor and a nice finish. Taken together the Brooks sweetens up the AAA and tames the tannins. AAA smoothes out the Brooks finish. The splash of water not only opened up the nose, but also served to help the flavors amalgamate. I liked it. Take two very inexpensive bourbons and make them better than either one of them were by themselves. I guess that is whole point of vatting in the first place.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Well done Linn, sounds great.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings