The Party Source -- Now it can YOUR source, too!

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

The Party Source -- Now it can YOUR source, too!

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 am

Over the years, many of you have read my praises of Jay Erisman, retail spirits manager extraorinaire. Jay is a liquor afficiando of world-class proportion, with a special love for whiskey. All kinds of whisk(e)y, of course, but especially American whiskey. And he has both the knowledge and the connections to bring to market some of the finest and most unusual obtainable. In many ways, Jay is a mirror-image of folks like Julian Van Winkle and Drew Kulsveen. They are purveyors of fine whiskies which they obtain from very limited sources and market to a (hopefully) ever-expanding network of distributors and retailers. Jay selects from a large (and expanding) base of sources, and markets through one single retail outlet, The Party Source, on the shore of the Ohio River in Bellevue Kentucky.

Like virtually any serious retail outfit anymore, The Party Source has a website. It's a major retailer, with lots of departments and activities, and it's page is chock full of stuff. Don't ignore all that, of course, but do skip over it all and just add "/whiskey" to the address, as in http://www.thepartysource.com/whiskey

That there young, good-looking guy on the right is Jay. He doesn't look like someone who'd enjoy spending his vacations wading up muddy mountain roads in Mexico and swatting bugs to watch cactus being fermented in a clay pot in someone's garage, does he?

Well, he is.

He's also a contributing author to Drinks and Malt Advocate magazines. And he is the proud owner of more kinds of current-production bourbon and rye whiskey than anyone reading this, all of which he'd love to sell to you, as well as a goodly share of brown liquors that are so new and experimental that he can't sell to you because they don't even have a marketing niche... yet. Every once in awhile, during his scheduled tastings at the store (the Party Source runs various gourmet shows, hands-on cooking classes, wine tastings, beer tastings, and liquor tastings from a full kitchen set, suitable for televised presentations similar to say, Emeril Live) he shares some of these with his audience. Recently we enjoyed an evening with Harlen Wheatley, who brought along some 6-grain white dog (it can't even be called "whiskey", because it includes sorghum and buckwheat in the mashbill), as well as some other Buffalo Trace experimentals you won't find at your local liquor store. Two of those, a rye whiskey "finished" in a sweet wine barrel and a bourbon whiskey "finished" in the barrel the rye had been aged in, were created to Jay's own specifications and bottled by BT in their own Experimental bottles -- albeit at barrel-proof and unfiltered, not at 90 proof. These whiskey products can only be purchased at The Party Source. The same is true for Four Roses' line of single barrel bourbons made from each of their 10 mashbill/yeast combinations. Or at least four of them -- more to come in the future. Jim Rutledge was so impressed with Jay's suggestion that Four Roses now plans to make those expressions generally available, although I believe only those selected for The Party Source will be unfiltered and barrel proof. Jay also has probably more versions of Willett bourbon on his shelves than you've ever seen anywhere.

But the best part (and the reason I'm posting all this gushing praise) is that you can now obtain these wonderful and unique expressions even if you don't live near Bellevue. Enthusiasts in many states can now receive liquor purchased online from The Party Source. Be sure to check the "Shipping Info" tab to see if yours is among them.

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly), not included is my previous home state of Pennsylvania, where the 21st Ammendment is still considered only a temporary setback on the glorious road to full statuatory abstinence. In election after election, the voters of Pennsylvania confirm their belief that private citizens should continue to be forbidden to obtain or possess demon alcohol unless such is issued to them through state-operated liquor dispensaries.

Check out his store's site. There's no way that Jay would post here tootin' his own horn, but I certainly don't see why I shouldn't; it's a public service to American whiskey lovers. If you've been feeling cheated because all us Kentuckians (and nearly-Kentuckians) get to taste all the really special stuff, now's your chance. Unless you live in Pennsylvania. :(
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: The Party Source -- Now it can YOUR source, too!

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for the heads up. Sort of.
Because local selection is so bad I buy most my Bourbon on line and I have long been frustrated that Party Source wouldn't ship ---- now I'm doubly frustrated because it seems that they won't ship to Fla.
Like I said I buy most my Bourbon on line and EVERY other on line seller ships to Fla. :dontknow:
sailor22

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:55 am

Sweet! I had my sister pick up a case of assorted single barrels for me when she passed through that area last year. Great stuff.
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby silverfish » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:03 pm

While I'm pleased to see that they do ship to my state (NY),
I'm bummed that the items I'd like are marked "No Shipping".

(edit to add: using the search function, I clicked on 10 random
spirits and every one was marked "NS". Is this going to change
since they now ship or am I just picking the wrong stuff?... :(
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Silverfish,
I think you might have been searching from the store's main page (which is likely not updated yet). I see the "no shipping" notice when I look up, for instance, Four Roses SB OBSO in the DrinkFINDER search, but if you go directly to the new Whiskey page (remember to manually add the "/whiskey" to the PartySource URL) there's no such notice. I think that's the more accurate search until the rest of the site catches up. I'm also not real sure that this service (which has its complications as you may have guessed) is being made available to everyone; I think it's mainly intended as a way for folks like us to buy.
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:13 pm

I think they are just starting this shipping thing and right now it looks like their barrel picks are available for shipping - they may not have the rest of the stock loaded on the page yet. That would probably be a good place to start.
sailor22

Unread postby silverfish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the explanations.

I was wondering if the shipping only applied to items on the whiskey page.
I was hoping they offered shipping of "regular" items which is why I did a
search from the main page. There are some bottles not on the "specialty"
page which I would absolutely be interested in ordering.
John Q.
silverfish

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Best suggestion (and probably for other questions, too) would be to contact Jay directly, through the "contact us" link. There might be more he can tell you than he'd like to post on the page, and he's a great source of information on any kind of spirits, not just the "special" ones we all like to talk so much about. :)
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby silverfish » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 pm

I sent a note via the "Contact Us" link and received the following
reply from Shelly Dischar:

"we are unable to ship any alcoholic products out of the state of
Kentucky...it is against the law."

Not sure if Jay has something akin to Ryan at JULIO'S with the
BD/BE OWA bottles but that's the answer I received. I did send
a reply with the "whiskey" page ship info so we'll see what's next.

Reply from Jon Stiles:

"We have decided to start shipping some select items. At this time,
they are restricted only to our private barrel selections in both single
malts and bourbons. At some time, it may branch out to include other
items from our independent bottlers and other unusual items. Currently,
only the items listed on the Whiskey site are available for shipping. I
apologize for the confusing answer you received earlier."

That clears it up - time to place an order!
John Q.
silverfish

Unread postby silverfish » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Just wanted to report on the great service I received from TPS.
I placed my order on Feb. 13th and received it via UPS on Feb. 17th.
I picked a couple of the AAA 10 year and a bottle of the Sazerac Rye.
They were also kind enough to include a copy of the Four Roses
article Jay wrote for Malt Advocate.

I appreciate the service they're providing and hope they'll consider
offering more items to on-line shoppers (would love to get some
of the 90 proof Virginia Gentleman!)
John Q.
silverfish

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Just want to add my 'thank you, very much'. Bought a case of TPS selected FR1B - it's a cherry-bomb! A bit hot up front, but sweet cherry monster, cut with white pepper and a mild oak finish. Also chose a mix of other TPS selections and snagged a FRSmB LE 2012 this week. shipping is steep [to paradise], but well worth it after case discounts and low starting prices.
MauiSon

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings