Ryedown - Wild Turkey vs Rittenhouse BIB

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Ryedown - Wild Turkey vs Rittenhouse BIB

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Wild Turkey's nose presents a lot of leather, spicey perfume, and citrus. There is a bit of oak and char for authenticity. The nose gives up rye graininess and it is warm..........very nice.

The Rittenhouse is darker in color, is a touch more floral, is warmer, and its oak seems slightly decayed..........also a very nice nose.

Wild Turkey has excellent upfront sweetness, is rich and viscous, and warms the back of the mouth with a mild spicy sting.

Rittenhouse has a rich texture that is earthy in its sweetness. It bites with more edge, but strangely its sweetness lingers a mite longer.

I find the WT to be smoother, more sophisticated, more balanced, and slightly milder and maybe fruitier.............an excellent whiskey, especially for around $20.

I find the RH to be more robust in its deeper sweetness (what I would like to call a rye sweetness) and maybe richer, it has more of an edge, and it has more spicy bite while yet holding its molasses-like sweetness. It is also in the $20 range and is an excellent buy in whiskey in my opinion.

I would not pick a favorite of these two...........they both can fit a rye niche and both have strengths (and differences) enough to recommend them.

Have a nice day!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Ryedown - Wild Turkey vs Rittenhouse BIB

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:05 am

I share your opinion. I like them both. Too bad I have to make a one hour drive to get the Rittenhouse (when they have it). I also like the Sazerac, but around here it costs like $40 with tax included. I think Overholt is ok. You have to consider it is 80 proof and costs about $12. I gave Jim Beam Rye several chances, but never liked it. Wild Turkey 101 bourbon, or rye for around $20 you can't go wrong.
PaulO

Unread postby Stoopsie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 am

Have you tried a 50:50 vatting? That sounds like a logical next step. I don't have any WT rye at the moment and since you do........... :D
Howie

Some people see the glass as half full, some see half empty, but I prefer to drink straight from the bottle.
Stoopsie

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Stoopsie wrote:Have you tried a 50:50 vatting? That sounds like a logical next step. I don't have any WT rye at the moment and since you do........... :D

Stoopsie, Imo do it in yo very honor. It will be a while before I can get to it as I am gone far away for the next 10 days or so. In the meantime, get yoself a bottle of WT Rye, I know you like it!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey