Filson Bourbon Academy

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Filson Bourbon Academy

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 am

For those members who live in or near Louisville and want to have a fun bourbon experience while learning about bourbon here is the press release for the next filson Bourbon Academy:
The Filson Bourbon Academy
with Mike Veach

Feb. 22 – Mar. 15; 6 p.m.

Filson Historical Society

LOUISVILLE, KY – Come enhance your appreciation of bourbon and increase your knowledge of Kentucky whiskey products at The Filson Bourbon Academy. This series of educational seminars is supported by the Kentucky Distillers Association and the Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Academy offers licensed bartenders and servers working in the hospitality industry, as well as interested connoisseurs, a firm background in Kentucky’s native spirit.

This eight hour course will take place over four consecutive Monday nights. One hour of each class will be reserved for lectures pertaining to the history of bourbon in Kentucky, with a second hour dedicated to bourbon tastings. All classes will be led by The Filson’s bourbon historian, Mike Veach. Mike is a recent inductee into the Bourbon Hall of Fame. Topics to be addressed include: “Farmer Distillers and the Birth of Bourbon,” “Bourbon and the Industrial Revolution,” “The Early 20th Century and Prohibition” and “Post-Prohibition and the Modern Era of Bourbon.”

The Academy is limited to 25 students, with a cost of $100 for the four sessions. Please call The Filson to make your reservation.
###

Since its founding in 1884, The Filson Historical Society has preserved the region’s collective memory, not only of Kentucky but also of the Ohio Valley and the Upper South. The Filson continues to collect and tell the significant stories of the region. An independent historical society, The Filson serves the public through its extensive research collections and numerous educational opportunities. The Filson is headquartered in the Ferguson Mansion in Old Louisville and houses a library, a museum and a special collections department.

Amy Jackson

Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator
The Filson Historical Society
eclephas@filsonhistorical.org
Editor of The Filson Newsmagazine
Managing Editor of the Ohio Valley History
The Filson Historical Society
1310 South Third Street
Louisville, KY 40208
Phone: 502-635-5083 (x212)
Fax: 502-635-5086
www.filsonhistorical.org

These classes take place on Monday evenings and are two hours long with the first hour being history and heritage with the second hour being tasting of bourbons.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Filson Bourbon Academy

Unread postby independant » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Sounds like a great time, to bad I live in Va.
What are some of the bourbons to be tasted and are you having the tasting go along with the lecture of the night?
independant

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am

The first night I usually pick a traditional bourbon with rye - Old Forester or Wild Turkey are my favorite choices for this. The next night we look at different types of American Whiskey so I have another traditional bourbon Usually, Old Forester or Wild Turkey, depending upon what I used the first week, a wheated bourbon, Makers Mark, or Weller Special Reserve, A rye whiskey, Sazerac or Old Overholt, and a Tennessee whiskey, Dickel or Gentleman Jack. The third week we look at premium brands so there is a single barrel, Eagle Rare or Even Williams, a small batch, Knob Creek or 1792, an exrtra aged Russell Reserve or Ancient Ancient age 10yo and a specialty whiskey, Bernheim wheat. The last week is a blind tasting and the class has to take what they have learned and apply it to the whiskeys. I pick two and let them have time to make their notes.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:05 pm

bourbonv wrote:The first night I usually pick a traditional bourbon with rye - Old Forester or Wild Turkey are my favorite choices for this. The next night we look at different types of American Whiskey so I have another traditional bourbon Usually, Old Forester or Wild Turkey, depending upon what I used the first week, a wheated bourbon, Makers Mark, or Weller Special Reserve, A rye whiskey, Sazerac or Old Overholt, and a Tennessee whiskey, Dickel or Gentleman Jack. The third week we look at premium brands so there is a single barrel, Eagle Rare or Even Williams, a small batch, Knob Creek or 1792, an exrtra aged Russell Reserve or Ancient Ancient age 10yo and a specialty whiskey, Bernheim wheat. The last week is a blind tasting and the class has to take what they have learned and apply it to the whiskeys. I pick two and let them have time to make their notes.

Did you base these on the stuff we did on BD.com? I would be interested in your lecture notes, especially the history stuff. Any chance to get a copy to read?
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Em,
There are elements from the BD University, but there is a lot of history involved as well. I don't have notes since I do it from memory, so every class is a unique experience. You will just have to wait for the book! (I have a dead line to get the manuscript done by Derby Day so it will not be more than a year from that before it is out.)
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions