Death to Spammers!

What's new in the forums? Important announcements? Check in here!

Moderator: Squire

Death to Spammers!

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:50 pm

In order to prevent spammers, I have changed the permissions so that I have to approve new members. I am sorry if this inconviences new members, but I am tired of deleting spam.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Death to Spammers!

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Just to fill you all in a bit more here. I have taken on screening new members. I know I will not be perfest in keeping out the spammers, but I am going to try. This is a lot of extra work that frankly I don't need, so don't be suprised if new members have to wait a day or two to get approved. I also am not accepting anyone that looks the least bit suspicious as a spammer, so if you are trying to get in, you had better put something on your control pannel that convinces me that you really are a bourbon enthusiast. I hate to do this, but I figure this is better than all of the spam we have been getting. Until we get a little more help on board, this is the way it will be - admin approval to new members. If you as a member, know of someone who is trying to get on, please let me know. That way I can be sure to appove that membership.

Thank You for tour patience.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Re: Death to Spammers!

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Well I have been screening new members for almost a month now and the spam has been reduced drastically. I get about 10 requests to join every day and I may approve only 1 or 2. I have decided to err on the side of caution so I am not letting anyone in who might be a bit suspicious. This is hard to tell at times because they don't fill out the profile and give me little or nothing to judge them by. If you know anyone who is trying to join and gets rejected let me know so I can look for their application. It also helps if they fill out a profile that mentions bourbon somewhere.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Announcements and Site News