Comments on Dump Bucket`s review of Okolehao Whiskey

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Dump Bucket`s review of Okolehao Whiskey

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:34 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Dump Bucket's review of Okolehao Whiskey.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby hjsargent » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:34 pm

'Okolehao does not mean "alcohol" in Hawai'ian. It means "iron bottom". 'Okole is Hawai'ian for bottom and hao is Hawai'ian for iron. The name traces to the use by visiting whalers of the metal rendering pots to make improvised pot stills in the 1790's. Lots more lore in the Maui News.

Only beverages based on Ti root should be called 'Okolehao. There is no whiskey aspect to the Hawai'ian heritage- no barley, no rye, no corn. Ti root was the fermentable they had to work with.

Kudos to the author of the review, however, for bringing attention to an ancient and almost forgotten beverage!! The careful and thoughtful efforts to bring this discovery to everyone's attention should be applauded.

You can now obtain real Maui 'Okolehao. For the real stuff, go to www.haleakaladistillers.com
hjsargent

Re:

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

hjsargent wrote:'Okolehao does not mean "alcohol" in Hawai'ian. It means "iron bottom". 'Okole is Hawai'ian for bottom and hao is Hawai'ian for iron. The name traces to the use by visiting whalers of the metal rendering pots to make improvised pot stills in the 1790's. Lots more lore in the Maui News.

Groovy....
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion