Tips for Bourbon Tourists

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Tips for Bourbon Tourists

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:11 pm

There's the official Kentucky Bourbon Trail, the Urban Bourbon Trail in Louisville, and now they've been combined with stuff the local tourism boards want to promote to create Ky BourbonSpirit.com.

What's missing?

Elsewhere, I've suggested 25 sites that bourbon tourists might also want to visit. I just thought of another one, Berry Hill Mansion, in Frankfort, which was built by one of the guys who owned Old Crow pre-Prohibition.

Lots of the people here have traveled Kentucky. What are some of the attractions that you, as a bourbon tourist, have enjoyed other than the official ones? They don't even have to be bourbon-related. Where do you like to eat? Where do you like to stay?

We have plenty of threads about visiting the distilleries. This is for the other stuff.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Tips for Bourbon Tourists

Unread postby RobotAZ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:58 am

You guys have to stay at Green Mansion near Rough River if you ever get the chance. It's got a colorful history and is a magnificent place to call home for a night. I highly recommend it for taking a loved one for a very special stay. If you have a boat be sure and book at least a couple of nights and hit the lake. We stayed up drinking good bourbons and beers on the back porch with all of the other guests. You will make valued friends and you will thank me if you didn't already know about it. It's far, far off of the beaten path though, so don't expect anything other than total relaxation. Oh, and if you play golf, you'll love their course.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Unread postby kevinnewman502 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:15 pm

It's been a while...but the Sherwood Inn in New Haven fits the bill...The Bartender Earl ? (If he is still with us)is a wonderful host and a walking Bourbon Encyclopedia...it's like going back in time, the place is super-OLD w/ Bourbon Murals on the wall that are easily over a hundred years old...the locals are friendly and the Kentucky Railway Museum is next door...
kevinnewman502

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Chuck,

For those that really like history, I would suggest:

Old Fort Herod - a first rate reconstruction on the orginal site. Where If I remember correctly Abraham Lincoln's mother and father were married.

Knob Creek - Abrahm Linclon's boyhood home, and also Abraham Lincoln's birthplace is nearby and is a national shrine.

Old Talbot Tavern in Bardstown is a must. Great food with a wonderful bar, and a good place to spend the night.

Frankfort Cemetary - Where Daniel and Rebecca Boone are buried. Nice views of Frankfort; the Kentucky River, and Buffalo Trace. Many good photo ops.

Fort Knox - Yes where the GOLD is! You can't go into the depository and visit your gold, but they tell me it's in there. Watch Goldfinger before you go. Also visit the U.S. Army's Tank museum. If you like tanks, this is armoured heaven. Gen'l George S. Patton's Cadilac staffcar is there as are also his ivory handeled S&W .357 magnum and Model 1911 Colt .45. A big slab of the Berlin wall is there along with the orignal "Checkpoint Charlie" the historic portal from the American Zone in the West into the Russian Zone in the East. And yes, tanks, tanks, tanks! French, British, American, Nazi, and Soviet. It's just an amazing collection that simply does not exist anywhere else on the planet.

I could go on, but I'll stop here.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby RobotAZ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:30 pm

^^ If Old Fort Harrod is something that you would enjoy, which most would enjoy I believe, then make sure and visit Boonesborough while you're at it. Both are a step about as far back as you can go outside of the original colonies. Nearby to Boonesborough you can cross the KY River on a ferry that is the oldest continuously operated business in KY. I think it started around 1780.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm sad to report that the Talbott has been way off its game lately, especially the restaurant. Mediocre food, hideous service, and a f*** you attitude. And, of course, I miss the pre-fire bar.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby vince » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 pm

I moved to KY (Owensboro) a year ago from NJ. I have have traveled to Louisville several times to eat at Proof on Main. Their bar also has a fantastic array of bourbons. The rest rooms are quite an experience as well. Very interesting place.
vince

Return to Bourbon Expeditions