Comments on Mike`s review of Old Potrero Single Malt

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike`s review of Old Potrero Single Malt

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:24 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Old Potrero Single Malt.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:24 am

What proof was this? is it the older barrel proof or the current release 90 proofer?
sailor22

Re: Comments on Mike`s review of Old Potrero Single Malt

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:48 pm

This is a bottle I have had for a while and is exactly as the picture shown on the review page. At 124 proof it is a bit 'hot'. I have it in my mind to vat this with some softer, sweeter whiskies such as Bernheim or Maker's Mark or maybe one of the Old Charter whiskies.

I have a vatting that I mentioned in another post that is composed of 1 part VW Rye, 1 part WLW Barrel proof, and 4 parts Bernheim Wheat that is just a superb whiskey. Since the VW Rye is frankly too good to be used for vatting, maybe I can add a bit of OP instead and perhaps cut the rye part to .75 instead of 1 part.

This OP is quit unique and is challenging...........but I do indeed like it for a change of pace. I have not kept up with what Mr Maytag is doing these days with his OP, does anyone know what he is offering now?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Comments on Mike`s review of Old Potrero Single Malt

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:28 pm

OP's current single malt offering is bottled at 90 proof. I didn't see reference to it on the label but I think they list it as their 19th century version. I didn't get any of the hotness that people describe in earlier higher proof bottleings. Most surprising was the glycerine like mouth feel and the long lingering sweetness in the finish. I thought it was an interesting counterpoint to the sharp rye and grassy nose. I was really impressed with it. I think the lower proof and perhaps the extra year or two might have smoothed the rough edges and made it a little less challenging.

I recently had an opportunity to taste the 18th century version and thought it came across sort of like Handy on steroids and not in a bad way. Working from memory I didn't think the finish was quite as sweet at the 19th.

I also have their Hotelings and while it's flavorful it's the lightest with the shortest finish of the three
sailor22

Unread postby Chipblood » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:38 am

This review is beautiful. I can imagine the flavors...I have wanted to try this since I read about it...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." inspired by Hunter S. Thompson
Chipblood

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion