Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Bellows Rare

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Bellows Rare

Unread postby forumadmin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about drinkdrankdrunk's review of Bellows Rare.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bellow's Rare Pic

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Bellowsrare2.JPG
Bellowsrare2.JPG (74.36 KiB) Viewed 8905 times

Bellows3.JPG
Bellows3.JPG (77.8 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
Last edited by drinkdrankdrunk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
drinkdrankdrunk

Re: Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Bellows Rare

Unread postby mozilla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for the pic...you might need to try the close up setting on the camera to get the proper focus? I believe the setting has a flower or something similar on the setting button?
mozilla

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Well I think it's more that I stablaized my elbows on the stove for the close-up shot which is fine and didn't for the long shot. I have a 1st addition Sony cybershot with the microscopic LCD, so it's hard to tell what the picture looks like till I uplaod it. I'll take another, Thanks!
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Excellent review. I recall buying this very brand (for probably only a dollar or two less), around 1980 in Plattsburgh, NY. It tasted like you describe, with a very strong rye presence. At the time, I was not used to a rye-forward palate and did not like it although now I think I would. Great find.
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby mozilla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Bellows was one of the few dusties I have found a few bottles of in Austin. I really liked it after trying it for the first time. When I compared that fat ND profile to other modern mid and bottom shelfers...I thought the Bellows blew their doors off. I have searched out Bellows in that packaging and hoarded as many as possible. Too bad there wasn't a Bib version.
mozilla

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 am

Ok I fixed the first picture. I will probably start using a tripod till I get a better camera.

I should have grabbed the liter they had also, I just didn't want to waste my money if the bottle turned out so-so. I will be retrieving it soon.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am

I know this label is not all tricked out like some other labels...but, the simplicity of it has always made it one of my favorites. You don't see many BumbleBees or green on labels, today. It is very old school.

The flavor profile....if I remember correctly was the first one to remind me of the structure of a cake. Very layered with rich caramel and chocolaty flavors. I will have to dig a bottle out of the bunker, soon.
mozilla

Re:

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 am

gillmang wrote:Excellent review. I recall buying this very brand (for probably only a dollar or two less), around 1980 in Plattsburgh, NY. It tasted like you describe, with a very strong rye presence. At the time, I was not used to a rye-forward palate and did not like it although now I think I would. Great find.

Thanks for the validation. I finally feel like my palate has graduated to the next level. I have been drinking alot of Mellow Corn Whiskey lately, and it has really helped me sperate flavors when drinking bourbon.
drinkdrankdrunk

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion