bt white dog

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

bt white dog

Unread postby tmckenzie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 pm

who all here have had the opportunity to get a bottle of bt white dog? I picked up some over the weekend and have enjoyed it, would'nt it be nice to see each distillery bottle white dog.
tmckenzie

Re: bt white dog

Unread postby independant » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

I have not had the opportunity to get one of these but plan to get one next time I am in Ky.
independant

Unread postby Rughi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 pm

There's a perception by some that white dog is unstable.

This was discussed on another site a few years ago where a stalwart of that site stated that his unnamed industry connection said they couldn't market white dog because of some type of instability. A more indepth explanation was not forthcoming, so I still don't know the rationale.

Roger

edit
I reread the thread just now and the claim by the industry person was that yeast survives distllation. Nobody in that discussion understood how that could be, but the assertion stood.
Rughi

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 am

Rughi wrote:There's a perception by some that white dog is unstable.

This was discussed on another site a few years ago where a stalwart of that site stated that his unnamed industry connection said they couldn't market white dog because of some type of instability. A more indepth explanation was not forthcoming, so I still don't know the rationale.

Roger

edit
I reread the thread just now and the claim by the industry person was that yeast survives distllation. Nobody in that discussion understood how that could be, but the assertion stood.

That is simply not possible most all of the yeast dies during the fermentation process. The alcohol kills the yeast it dies from it's own excrement. What little is left alive would be easily killed by the high temperatures of the distilling process.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Rughi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 pm

p_elliott wrote:That is simply not possible most all of the yeast dies during the fermentation process. The alcohol kills the yeast it dies from it's own excrement. What little is left alive would be easily killed by the high temperatures of the distilling process.

Yup.
That's what almost every poster asked about, but we couldn't get clarification.

The only reason I bring it up is because people we are assured are knowledgable (without revealing whom: it could be someone at Beam, Maker's, or HH for instance) have this belief, and that belief may prevent white dog from coming out of some distilleries, whether enthusiasts would buy it or no.

Roger
Rughi

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Is this a belief or a company line? They may not want to release white dog and use this excuse, which is actually pretty poor of an excuse, to keep from bottling white dog?
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

If the yeast was alive in white dog that would mean that bourbon would still be fermenting in the barrel and the bottle which we know is not true. This argument has no merit.
p_elliott

Unread postby independant » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:27 pm

p_elliott wrote:If the yeast was alive in white dog that would mean that bourbon would still be fermenting in the barrel and the bottle which we know is not true. This argument has no merit.

This is what I think to. If for some reason the yeast is still around in the white dog after distillation why is it not alive in the barrel or the bottle?
it can't be unless there is another step after the distillation process that kills the yeast that none of us know about.
independant

Unread postby tmckenzie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:52 pm

yeast does not survive. but, to some extent it is unstable. it will change in the bottle, just like fruit brandy, for about 6 weeks. then it is stable. I cannot explain it. even whiskey right off the still, in a tank is different, the day after it is run.
tmckenzie

Unread postby Rughi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm

tmckenzie wrote:yeast does not survive. but, to some extent it is unstable. it will change in the bottle, just like fruit brandy, for about 6 weeks. then it is stable. I cannot explain it. even whiskey right off the still, in a tank is different, the day after it is run.

So is it dead yeast and other soluble particles coming out of solution and sedimenting in the days and weeks after distillation?
This is a satisfying answer that the live yeast explanatiion never was.

Thanks
Roger
Rughi

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:40 am

So the solution would be is to place the white dog in a new uncharred barrel for 6 weeks and then bottle it. But then it wouldn't be white dog it would be green whiskey but close enough.
p_elliott

Unread postby Rughi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

mozilla wrote:Why not just drink some Mellow Corn Bib?

Not either or...
Both!

Roger

Of course, no white dog gets to have the magic "bib" in its name :mrgreen:
Rughi

Unread postby fricky » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Why would I buy white dog instead of the finished product - aged bourbon? I realize that it is interesting to taste white dog when touring a distillery. I also had an interesting experience at Four Roses. I was given an opportunity to taste different white dog produced from their different yeasts. It was interesting and informative; however, I have no desire to purchase their white dog when I can get their excellent bourbon.
Doug
fricky

Unread postby Rughi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm

fricky wrote:Why would I buy white dog instead of the finished product - aged bourbon? I realize that it is interesting to taste white dog when touring a distillery. I also had an interesting experience at Four Roses. I was given an opportunity to taste different white dog produced from their different yeasts. It was interesting and informative; however, I have no desire to purchase their white dog when I can get their excellent bourbon.
Doug

I have friends who are more casual about whiskey who come over and are interested in how it's made, what the various ingredients are, where the grain vs. barrel flavors come from, young vs. old, etc. I like having as wide a variety on hand as I can so that we can sample and discuss.

If I only had hardcore enthusiasts coming over, well, I'd still want a bottle on hand for reference.
Will I buy it weekly or monthly? Nope. But then, I don't drink any one whiskey fast enough that I have to replace it very often.

I still say, Both! All of it!

Roger
Rughi

Unread postby tmckenzie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 pm

I would rather drink white dog, than good aged bourbon, and you would be suprised at the number of folks who like it.
tmckenzie

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey