Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Old Charter 7

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Old Charter 7

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:41 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about drinkdrankdrunk's review of Old Charter 7.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Old Charter 7 86 Proof Pics

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am

oc7b.JPG
oc7b.JPG (79.67 KiB) Viewed 9485 times

oc7c.JPG
oc7c.JPG (67.66 KiB) Viewed 9484 times

oc7d.JPG
oc7d.JPG (91.15 KiB) Viewed 9484 times

oc7e.JPG
oc7e.JPG (53.4 KiB) Viewed 9484 times
drinkdrankdrunk

Re: Comments on drinkdrankdrunk`s review of Old Charter 7

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 am

That's some yummy juice. It's better then the standard 80 proof version and is almost as good as the 10 yr 86 proof.
mozilla

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

Well I found this particular bottle a little off. I'm hoping some time open evens out the flavors. It's worth drinking straight in my opinion, but it needs some work.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 am

The ones I have had were more fruity and the 6 proof points helped the flavors out quite a bit.

I opened up a new OC review for the 86 proof...so you are now the only one to review that particular label.
mozilla

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 am

mozilla wrote:The ones I have had were more fruity and the 6 proof points helped the flavors out quite a bit.

I opened up a new OC review for the 86 proof...so you are now the only one to review that particular label.

Cool, Thanks! Like I said I will be revisiting and will post a 2nd review at some point. The nose was way to promising on this one. I would love for some of the fruit flavor to poke it's way through the earthy tones. What about the possiblility of this being older than 7 years?
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:30 am

I think that it is definitely possible. I doubt that they went crazy...but they probably had different profile standards when their warehouses were brimming with product. I have heard that they used some really old stock in the OCPR...much older than 13yr.

I don't know if Gary would know anything about this...but there has to be some standards for profile compillation...ie: how to form a batch for a production run. If I had to guess...and from what I can gather; you probably start with the minimum yr available for the label. Then, taste. Add some of the next step up on the age scale. Then, taste. Figure out how much more water or distillate you need to fill to the proper gallonage for bottling...and add accodingly. If it tastes good, you would add the same perportions....if it needed something you would add accordingly for that.

What would be nice...is, if we knew what size batches each distiller used for their labels.
mozilla

Unread postby luckyhunter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 pm

I have the same bottle, actually a few of them, and I cant wait to open em'...!!
luckyhunter

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion