Comments on bunghole`s review of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2008

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on bunghole`s review of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2008

Unread postby forumadmin » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about bunghole's review of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2008.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Linn, I am with you on this B'day Boy, he does not yield all his treasures to a casual sip............all to the gooder.

Now back to the Weller Antique and Gene Autry on the tube...............Gene has the bad guys cornered at Dead Man's Draw and the outcome is in serious doubt. Uh, Oh, here comes Smiley Burnett.........that can only mean more trouble for Gene!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Comments on bunghole`s review of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2008

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Forgive me for following on your review with my own. I tried BB again and was blown away. Mine really adds nothing to yours. It is just a difficult bourbon to pin down because of its greatness. You know it and so do I.
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Mike,

I am sure that I made a post to follow up your second set of tatsing notes, and it was good. Did I just hit preview, and not hit submit? I don't think so, but it's not here. Damn! I'll try again tomorrow. It was really good too, and I doubt I can recreate it.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby BourbonDave » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Bunghole,
In your review you descriped OFBB as "candy". I've not had the pleasure of trying this bourbon, but I'm curious as to which bourbons you also would describe as "candy-like"?

Regards,

BourbonDave
BourbonDave

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 pm

BourbonDave wrote:Bunghole,
In your review you descriped OFBB as "candy". I've not had the pleasure of trying this bourbon, but I'm curious as to which bourbons you also would describe as "candy-like"?

Regards,

BourbonDave

OK Dave here we go.

Woodford Reserve Batch #40 was super candy. This really lasted until the pot-stilled Woodford distilate was added into the marriage. Selected honey barrels of Old Forester just have a real candy quality that is hard to come by. This year's Birthday Bourbon is a great example.

I have found that candy tones in the aroma; flavor, and finish of a bourbon are the easiest for me to discern. So the usual suspects are; vanilla, caramel, toffee, butterscotch (usually found in wheaters), nugat, and to a much lesser extent - chocolate. So you just have to hunt for them in every bourbon you drink. The better the overall balance of oak, and spice tones the more the candy like components stand out. Fruit accents can add to the candy qualities, and rarely if ever detract.

Old Rip Van Winkle and Pappy Van Winkle have some good candy qualities usually with butterscotch and pralines.

Old Charter 12 year old "Classic 90" has some excellent candy tones which contributes to it's well earned reputation of being easy drinking. The new 'Charter 101' offers up much the same qualities.

Virginia Gentleman 90 proof usually has some very good candy qualities, but the last bottle I had was sadly lacking.

I'll stop here and let others make some suggestions.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:56 pm

BourbonDave wrote:Bunghole,

Regards,

BourbonDave

Good question Dave! My friend, Mr Hole (bung, that is) has given his well considered and useful take on this question and I have little to add...........except........I think Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (for which I have a soft spot), in spite of its rye bite, has a nice load of candy corn.
Mike

Unread postby BourbonDave » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 pm

OGD BIB is still another I have not tried. I have tended to stay away from the higher rye bourbons except for Four Roses and AAA. I am currently drinking BT and OFS. I find quite a bit brown sugar and caramel in the OFS. I guess I still like WR, and am looking for a similar taste profile.

Since the current pot-stilledWR has many of those same "candy-like" qualities (I only live about 10 miles from the distillery), I'm looking for similar flavors. I did like C101, thanks to Linn. Any suggestions in this area? :)
BourbonDave

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:50 pm

It's kind of funny that the Old Forester mashbill is high in rye at 18%. So you would expect a hot and spicey finish along with heavy spice tones in both the nose and flavor simular to that of Wild Turkey or Old Grand Dad.

I think the secret is in the heat cycled warehouses. They do make a difference.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Linn,
I will disagree - I think the secret is the yeast. From my experience, you get more spice notes from the yeast than from the rye grain.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby BourbonDave » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Bourbonv,
What bourbons do you feel has these "candy-like" qualities?
BourbonDave

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:30 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,
I will disagree - I think the secret is the yeast. From my experience, you get more spice notes from the yeast than from the rye grain.

OK Mike, I'll go along with that. As Four Roses will tell you yeast does make a difference. But I'll also stick with warehouse type and location along floor location of the barrel or barrels does contribute mightily to the overall flavor. I'll add time to my list of no so secret secrets.
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:01 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,

Clarify this for me a bit, Mike. I know the yeast supplies certain kinds of flavors that often are fruity and can range (in my experience as a brewer) from cloves to allspice and nutmeg. But, I have been under the impression that what I call a spicy bite does come from rye, and rye also can add (in my opinion) some fruit and even its own kind of sweetness.

Am I mistaken about this?
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 am

Four Roses has a strain of yeast that creates a very spicey flavored bourbon. A lot of ther spice notes come from the yeast, not the rye. In fact i think the rye is more responsible for some of the fruit notes than the spice notes. That is what I love about Old Grand Dad is the citrus fruitiness and I think that is more the rye than anything.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm

For me, bourbons that have "candy like flavors" are those with strong sweet qualities. Th SOBC 20yo that Julian bottled had caramel and chocolate in spades and I would describe it as "candy". I have had some 5yo Old Crow bonded from the 1970's that had this same "Candy" flavors with caramel and chocolate. I have also had some Old Grand Dad that had a very citrus fruity sweetness that was more of a "Jolly Rancher" type of candy, but I would also describe it as "liquid Candy". The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, 2008 is another very fruity sweet bourbon that is candy, but to me more of "fruit jelly" type candy - you know, like the orange slices that are popular around the holidays. Think the cherry slice candies and it is close to the fruit sweetness of the 2008 Birthday Bourbon.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Next

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion