Evan Williams Single Barrel

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel

Unread postby B3Nut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm

cowdery wrote:Of course, I can never really be a collector because I can't not open things.

I hear you. Usually when I get a new bottle, it's open and sampled within 10 minutes of walking in the house. Just a little 3/4-to-1 oz. squirt to get an initial impression, deeper tasting and enjoying comes later. But I can't resist having a little taste if it's something I have never had before. That's part of what makes this such a fun adventure for me. Exceptions are if I bring home something really special that I want to save for awhile, or bottles for the bunker obviously.
B3Nut

Unread postby independant » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:44 pm

I am not a collector by any means either but I have been trying to put the whole set of EWSB together so I can open them all at once.
I also tend to buy more then I drink right now I have 63 opened and another 37 waiting in the wings. o
Of those probly 30 I have never tried but I want to get the number of opens down to around 30.
independant

Unread postby maierar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:42 am

My only disappointment with the 1999 is that they have discontinued the corrugated paper boxes and the bottles now come "naked". The whiskey is great, but the display will suffer.
Its really a shame. They claim it is to reduce cost and waste. I would be willing to pay the extra $0.50 it would cost them to maintain this product as a collectors' item. Poor decision on their part in my opinion.
maierar

Unread postby independant » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I have only ever seen one EWSB in the brown cardboard box that you are talking about. Mine had no label on its bottle. Is this what you meant by naked.
I always wondered if this was really a 94 or not.
Attachments
tmpphpPpN1e8.jpg
tmpphpPpN1e8.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
independant

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:22 pm

independant wrote:I always wondered if this was really a 94 or not.

The bottle may have a bottle date on the bottom. What does your's say?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby maierar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm

No. Up until this year every bottling had a label on the bottle and the bottle was in a corrugated paper box (like the one in your picture). This year they eliminated the box. Pretty disappointing and a little chintsy! I don't know why your bottle has no label. I always bought several; drank all but one and saved it in its box. I feel they just cheaped out here and I doubt I will continue the collection - it just doesn't look the same.
maierar

Unread postby independant » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Have you tried calling HH maybe it was just your distributor that quit taking ones with boxes. I live in a control state and have never seen a box with the EWSB. The one I have came from AZ.
independant

Unread postby independant » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
The bottle may have a bottle date on the bottom. What does your's say?
Joe

I looked when I got it and I am pretty sure there was no date but I will look again when I get off work in the morning. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to remove a label but it is not easy. I can't believe that anyone would go to the trouble to resell a newer bottle in a old box for the same price as a new one. I have seen the single barrel line at HH it seems funny that they would let one get by with out a label.
independant

Unread postby maierar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Yes. I emailed HH and was told they stopped the boxes for reasons of "cost and waste". Had they asked, I would have told them that I would gladly absorb the cost.
maierar

Unread postby independant » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm

maierar wrote:Yes. I emailed HH and was told they stopped the boxes for reasons of "cost and waste". Had they asked, I would have told them that I would gladly absorb the cost.

That sucks seeing as you have all of the boxes up til now.
independant

Unread postby gauze » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:57 am

On your local shelves what years do you still see out in the wild? I can still find 96-99 on local shelves. After reading this thread I'm thinking about making a trip to grab a '97 out of a slightly out of the way place. I've never tried this stuff, curious though.

Also there was a vertical tasting in the last issue of Whisky Magazine in case anyone was unaware and interested (check your Barnes and Noble bookstores).
gauze

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 pm

The 1999 vintage, which I purchased recently for $24 is the best of the EWSB in my opinion. It is well-balanced, and smooth as a baby's butt. Folks looking for a first rate bourbon at a very reasonable price need look no further. I also noted t'other day that there are some vintage 2000 EWSB bottles out there, but I did not buy one of those.........anyone else seen them? I expect they gotta be just under 10 Years Old and that was a bit of a surprise since my vintage 1999 was bottled in September of this year.

Some other Reviews on the 1999 would be appreciated, the one I have is just superb, Imo write home about it, y'all!! Grandma would love this very stuff to distraction..........and she was around...........
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby BourbonDave » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:51 am

Having had the 99 version and on my second bottle of the 00, I can say with comets confidence that the 00 vintage is better. Very well balanced and the finish is better than the 99. I wold highly recommend the 00 you will not be dissapointed!
BourbonDave

Unread postby independant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:05 am

The 99 EWSB is a good year and follows the profile very well. On the other hand I grabbed the first bottle of EWSB 00 I saw and was blown away. It was a different beast all together with more spice then I have had in past years. It was more like a rye whiskey then a bourbon. I went back the next day and bought 3 more from that barrel, number 16. I spoke with someone about their bottle of 00 EWSB and was told that they were not getting the rye influence that I got from mine so maybe I just got the perfect bottle from the perfect barrel. Atleast to me perfect. :)
independant

Unread postby independant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 am

If anyone sees a bottle of 00 EWSB with the dump date of 10-8-00 please pick it up for me. It was the day my son was born. I have one from the day before so I am hoping they were dumping barrels that day. I am not sure if they dump everyday or not.
Thanks
independant

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings