Old Michters rye, straight from the distiller

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Michters rye, straight from the distiller

Unread postby tmckenzie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

We had the pleasure today of being visited by Dick Stoll, he was the last master distiller at Michter's. He happened to be on vacation up our way and stopped in. He also was kind enough to bring with him a bottle of 20 year old Michter's straight rye. This he said was bottled in the 1980's for a market in asia. I think he said Fiji. The bottom of the bottle said 1988. So that would have put it being made in 1968. It was 51% rye, 37% corn, and 12% barley malt. This had to be the richest rye whiskey I have ever had. It was off the still at a low proof, and he said went in the barrel at 115. A true treasure. It is a shame that the distillery as been let to fall into ruin. We truly enjoyed his visit.
tmckenzie

Re: Old Michters rye, straight from the distiller

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 am

That is interesting, he must be a great guy to talk to. I seem to recall that on http://www.straightbourbon.com some time ago, in promo materials a member posted from Michter's from the 1980's, it was stated that distilling-out proof was not far under 160 (maybe 156). It sounds like the 20 year old rye when distilled in the 1960's, may have been distilled out a lower proof than that. Maybe that was the practice then, or for its rye whiskey. Or maybe anything under 160 was regarded as low.

The mashbill described is the same as for Michter's Original Sour Mash as described in Michael Jackson's late 1980's World Guide to Whiskey except the latter had 50% rye and 38% corn. Jackson wrote that Michter's used to supply straight rye at times for the Overholt and other brands. So this 20 year old stock must have been kept for that time atypically.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby tmckenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 pm

He could not recall off of the still proof, but to taste it, it was low. Very rich stuff. He said when this stuff was being made, Austin Nichols was buying some of it for wild turkey rye. Even though it was rye, the corn was very decetable. He even said that he picked up more rye flavor in our bourbon than on the michters. But that could be the difference in age. He was very interesting to talk too. After Michters closed, he went to work for the local scholl system, if I am not mistaken. For his age, he seemed to be in very good shape, and given the chance would probably make whiskey again.
tmckenzie

Unread postby tmckenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm

tmckenzie

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey