Bourbon Crusade Willett's - 6 yr

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Crusade Willett's - 6 yr

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat May 23, 2009 1:05 pm

All,
For the Willett that Reid and I did (Reid and Emerald's) 6 yr, we are going to distribute those by the case only.

Each bottle will be between $35-40 plus shipping (a Case is 12 so $420-$480 plus shipping).

What each of you will need to do is band together to get a case.

I will tell you that this 6 year bourbon blows the doors off of the other 6-7 yr Willetts that have been bottled and it also shamed the 13 and 18 yrs we tasted. This is a top notch bourbon that I know you will enjoy.

What y'all should do is find someone to be the point for 1 or more cases and then they can act as the distributor out to the rest of you.

Example: Devin would buy a case and send four to James, and Scott
Example: Steve would buy a case and send 1 to 11 other folks.... etc

The reason for this is to reduce the burden on Reid and myself. We do not have the time to organize single bottle sales to every person that wants one. The glasses have already been a fun enough project.

You do not need to feel obligated to buy any of the Willetts. There are about 14 cases total and 4 have already been spoken for. Reid and I plan to keep 2-3 each so that only leaves 4-6 open for sharing....

I recommend that folks that want some post here and we start to collect who wants what. We will track who wants what on this thread http://www.bourbondrinker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1481

Once y'all get together for the case, the POC should collect the $$$s and send a single check to either Reid or myself. We will hold cases (as identified on the thread above) for those that have claimed a case. Please do not make it a long process once we have identified the total cost to ship.

Bourbon Joe on BE.com (From Penn) wants at least 2. Who wants to take the lead on the first case?
Last edited by Dump Bucket on Sun May 24, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Re: Bourbon Crusade Willett's - 6 yr

Unread postby sailor22 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm in for a case - I will keep about half for myself and the rest will find loving homes in the Tallahassee area.

I have tasted this juice and it's the shiznit.
Last edited by sailor22 on Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailor22

Re: Bourbon Crusade

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sun May 24, 2009 12:04 am

While a Reid's last night, I snagged a sample of bottle "#2" and had a pre-taste of the bottle to come. A really flavorful and robust bourbon. This one's a keeper.
Last edited by ggilbertva on Sat May 30, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggilbertva

Unread postby enzo » Tue May 26, 2009 2:37 am

Anyone in Texas grabbing any of this?
enzo

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue May 26, 2009 7:52 am

[b]We, (The Bourbon Society) here in Louisville bought a barrel of 6 yr, 7 yr, and 16 yr Willett recently. The six year is good but my favorite is the 7 year old.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Gayle - I agree with you - the 7 is my favorite out of that Bourbon Society group too. This six is a different animal.
sailor22

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 pm

I tried both the 6 & 7 in Bardstown but I was pretty well wasted that night. Thus, no opinion. I have unopened bottles so I may have to re-visit them. Thanks Gayle.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby DeanSheen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:16 am

I was too toasted to pay the attention needed to all the Willett bottles at the sampler. I had the 6 year, and everyone there was raving about the 7 year.

Well I got a 7 year due to my subscription to the K&L club. I cracked it open tonight at the end of a group tasting and after a bit of air and a touch of water I'm in love. This is great stuff. It reminded me of why I spend so much time on the search.

I hope that they get this distillery fired up again because I think they understand why they are trying to do what they hope to do.
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby DeanSheen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 am

mozilla wrote:
DeanSheen wrote:I hope that they get this distillery fired up again because I think they understand why they are trying to do what they hope to do.

Are you referring to Willetts? They have not made whisky since the 60's or so. Everything they bottle comes from other sources. And to keep from offending anyone who supplies it...I won't list the options. But since there are only so many current producers of bourbon...it's not always too hard to figure out.

Yes I'm referring to Willett and I know they source their bourbons elsewhere. Is it to much to infer that the taste profiles they select would be similar to those they would produce?

Willetts ongoing efforts to make it a production distillery again was referenced in the press release that came with the K&D bottle.
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby Rughi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Of course with Willetts, each bottling is a unique effort, where the samples pulled are chosen from solely to please that bottling's group of tasters. There's no profile to match, perhaps it's more likely that there's an anti-profile sentiment.

I don't have a deep experience with KBDs standard bottlings (Noahs Mill, Rowans Creek, Vintage, Etc) but I believe a shift has occurred. It's probably best to judge KBD similarly to VW over the years - it's not always the same source but is it damn good bourbon?

Roger
Rughi

Unread postby sailor22 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 am

I
it's not always the same source but is it damn good bourbon?
I

So far I would say yes. I think Rowan's and Noah's small batches are really good pours - the only Vintage I have had is the 17 and I think it is something better than good. I look forward to sampling the rest of the Vintage line.

The intriguing thing about the Willett single barrel picks is that you get to sample what someone thought was a special or distinctive barrel of juice - not just what the master distiller thought would fit the established taste profile for a specific label. Everyones taste is different and there is always the possibility that whoever picked the barrel has very different taste than you. Doesn't make it bad Bourbon and it might broaden your palate.
sailor22

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:30 pm

This is a bit of a hi-jack, but since we're on the subject of Willett's-

Should calling something "Pot Still Reserve" require proof of pot stilling, or do we accept this in the same way we accept all kinds of whiskey marketing catch-phrases? The only reason we bring this up is that this marketing terminology seems directed to enthusiasts, not those who believe the neck tag claims at face value. Designations of age, proof, "single barrel" status, BIB, etc. can be taken at face value due to legal requirements. "Old time sour mash" can mean anything the consumer thinks it means. Should "Pot Still Reserve" mean something...or nothing?

This is not meant to be a criticism of the Willett's product line - we are having some right now, which is how the subject came up!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby TBoner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Good question. It seems that I remember some other bourbons carrying pot still designations (or was it a Canadian) that was permissible by way of a very loose interpretation of "pot still." I think the enthusiast would know that Willett's bottlings are not pot still whiskey, so the use of the terminology may just be a way to conjure up a particular image regarding the bottle contents, something the Knob Creek and Blanton's bottles, for instance, manage to do for me, despite the fact that I know exactly what's in the bottle...

Regards,
Tim
TBoner

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings