Low price High quality...

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Low price High quality...

Unread postby jamendjr » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 pm

I know it doesn't exist but what would be some recommendations for a low to moderate priced cigar to go with my favorite bourbons? So far I have found Arturo Fuente's to be fairly low priced ( about 5 bucks here in MD ). I am an occasional smoker...maybe 2 or 3 time s a month at the most so that 5 dollar range is great. I recently had a 17 dollar Davidoff. I'm pretty new to cigars so I am sure there are brand specifics I am missing, but I thought I would poke around and see what I learn. Thansk in advance.
jamendjr

Re: Low price High quality...

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Any Padron or Punch maduro should pair well with any bourbon. Just pick a ring size that fits you mouth well. Partagas Spannish Rosados just taste like bourbon right out of the box, but are best with four or five years of aging. Any Havana Montecristo with 5+ years of age are just right for any traditional ryed bourbon. For wheated bourbons try a well aged Padron maduro 1964 Anniversary. You won't be dissappointed.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby enzo » Wed May 06, 2009 2:39 pm

I would second the recommendation for Punch. Punch is very well priced... and quite often very surprising in both quality and flavor.

La Gloria Cubana maduros are also quite nice for the money... thought they are a little on the spicy side for some people (I like the spice)
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby RobotAZ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

I agree with the previous suggestions. I love robustos and maduros, so I'm really biased in my suggestions. Regardless of the drink, I would never really enjoy a CT Shade wrapped cigar like I would a good dark one. Anyway, if I'm going cheap, I like the Onyx Reserves, Sancho Panza gold labels, Rocky Patel Edge maduro torpedo, and the CAO MX2. If you go a bump up in price, I'm all over the 60 gauge Rocky Patel Vintage for mixing with good drinks. Above that, any good cigar is a great mate with a great drink in my opinion.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Unread postby MJL » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:39 am

You guys idea of cheap is still pretty expensive. My advice is to look towards the bundled cigars. The JR Alternatives are actually quite nice and affordable. I also like the Consuegra and Old Fashioned. All of these can be had for under $2 a stick and sometimes less than $1.50 a stick. For that price you can't buy a cheap machine made dog rocket at the drug store. I also recommend the Genuine Counterfeit Cubans. For just under $2 a stick they are actually very nice smokes with a lot a of flavor. One I have recently found is the Franco. I like the pyramid shape in this brand. Mike's currently has them on sale and they are fantastic cigars.
MJL

Unread postby ScurvyDog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm

What ^^ said. I buy the JR alternatives, I swear they are better than some of the $8 and $10 cigars I have had in past. I prefer the Punch Rothchilds both genuine and alternatives. The alternatives seem a lillte bolder.
ScurvyDog

Unread postby Roscoe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:15 pm

I used to smoke the Hoyo Rothchilds, oscuro wrapper. Box of 40 is about 2 bucks per stick. Good smoke...lots of flavor.
Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby Zanaspus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Well since I have more knowledge here as opposed to whiskey, I'll pop in my best Values.

Padron Londres Maduro - One of my favorite smokes period. If you like them, you can spot them online for about $3 a piece.
Perdomo Lot 23 Natural - Smooth and creamy. If you like these, get a box from The Party Source at about $2.50 a piece.
Famous Nicaragua 5000 - Available at Famous smoke shop (online) for just over $2.00 per. Like smoking a chocolate brownie.

If I can go to $5? I'll mention a few.

Lots of good Cubans in this range. If you're in America they're illegal :wink:
If you watch Joe cigar at Cigars international, you can get any Don Pepin Garcia for less than $5, Cains for under $5.
601 Blue online is less than $5 without looking hard.
Joy de Nicaraugua Antano 1970. Ditto
Oliva G, O ,and V ditto.
Tatuaje Havana VI. Ditto.

You can try one or two of each of these from a local shop (apart from Famous) to see what you like. This is off the top of my head. I could work and find 5 times more if you like. These are all strong enough to stand up to bourbon.
Zanaspus

Unread postby Roscoe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Famous has great prices and excellent service. I buy from them for personal stash and for our stores. I also have a direct commercial account with General Cigar and Arturo Fuente.

BTW, I also like the Perdomo Lot 23 but prefer the maduro wrapper.

If I buy from Famous for personal use I avoid the 37% NJ tax (30% tobacco tax and 7% Sales tax). If I buy for the stores I have to add the 30% onto the retail.

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby JakeDPR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 am

I use CigarsInternational myself. My favorite budget sticks are Sancho Panza Double Maduro, which are about 3 bucks each
JakeDPR

Unread postby charlespe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 pm

I can suggest you many medium priced cigars such as,

Trinidad Coloniales
Carlos Torano Dominico Robusto 1
Cubao No.3
Nica Rustica (by Drew Estate)
La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Tabaqueros 750
Recluse Draconian
This article may be helpful I hope they serve http://www.cubancigarsbest.com/blog/met ... gar-fresh/

You can check their prices online.
charlespe

Unread postby JackBlanton » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:58 pm

All the Puros that have been mentioned in this forum are great choices but if you really wan't a bang for your buck
Then might I suggest the Quorum Nicarauga Nicarauga cigars by
J. C Newman. They cost lest than $3.00 bucks a stick and they're damn good smokes for the $.
JackBlanton

Return to The Humidor