very very old fitzgerald

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

very very old fitzgerald

Unread postby richard761 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 pm

i have a bottle of vvof made spring 1965 bottled fall of 1978 12years old i have seen on several sites that this expensive and everyone says to put it on e-bay but i have never sold anything on e-bay because of all the regulations and i do not want to accidentally give it away by making a mistake on there, so does anybody on here want it? by the way i have 2 bottles and was planning on one day opening 1 myself since every post i seen on it says it is the best ever bottled.
richard761

Re: very very old fitzgerald

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 pm

My advice is to keep both and open one now - that way you will realise how good the other is and pick a very special occasion to open it on.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:28 pm

If you do what Mike says, Please invite me for a tasting. Otherwise, I'll take the extra bottle you have.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby 3Stones » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 pm

I will take both off your hands if you need, pm me for my address. :lol:
3Stones

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Probably several weeks too late, but here goes:
I'm no doubt a bit of a counter-culturalist here, but I would never offer you a cent for it -- however much I might like to sample it -- simply because your first post seems to be not about bourbon, but about profit.
I MIGHT bid on it on eBay -- only to be outbid by those with deeper pockets and fewer compunctions.
I've shared numerous expensive (in today's dollars) whiskeys with many bourbonistas -- including today's Van Winkles, with whom I've also traded and socialized -- but have yet to taste a VVOF. For me, the whiskey's the thing. I don't give a damn about 'value'. I'll pay what I can afford and am willing to part with for what I want. And, if I never taste a VVOF, I've already been alternately blessed in whiskey samplings.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 pm

I came close to getting a VVOF one time, but was beat out by a guy with deeper pockets. I'll also probably never get to try it but it does make a nifty "holy grail". Maybe someday. ps. If I ever snag one Tim I'll be sure you get a taste.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 am

The good news about all of the Very (Very | Extra) Old Fitzgeralds is that, because of their elegant packaging, many more seem to have been saved and/or passed on than other bottles of their era, so there remains a decent supply. (I'm guessing non-bourbon drinkers -- and even "connoisseurs of fine bourbon" -- were saving them for a special occasion.) For the VVOF, I'm holding out hope that one will appear in the liquor cabinet of someone's parents when they pass away or move -- found a gold-filigree Old Weller Antique and S-W 90pf Rebel Yell that way!

I'm in possession of a Very Old and Very Extra (saving for a special occasion, go figure!) that only required shallow pockets and I've had multiple wonderful tastings of Van Winkle Family Reserve 15yo bourbon (an export-only 80's version of pure S-W that predates ORVW and Pappy 15). The Very Very Old is the only one missing, but I'm pretty sure I've got an idea of what it would taste like.
Kevin

There's bourbon on the breath of the singer you love so much
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby Expedition605 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I have several bottles (unopened) of Very Very Old Fitzgerald to sell. Made in Fall of 1963 and Bottled in Fall of 1975. Contact me if you have any interest in purchasing. Greg, Northfield, Illinois
Greg Rekett
Northfield, Illinois
Expedition605

Unread postby tradingboiler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 am

Expedition605 wrote:I have several bottles (unopened) of Very Very Old Fitzgerald to sell. Made in Fall of 1963 and Bottled in Fall of 1975. Contact me if you have any interest in purchasing. Greg, Northfield, Illinois

Greg - Do you still have some of these left. I live in Chicago and am extremely interested in buying a couple! Please let me know as soon as you can!
tradingboiler

Return to Collector's Corner