Unibroue brewery in Quebec

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Unibroue brewery in Quebec

Unread postby mike1290 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Was visiting my local crack dealer the other day (or beer distributor if you prefer), and I spotted a cool looking bottle of beer - 750 ml in size. The name on the bottle was simple, yet elegant, "Terrible." There were several others, namely "La Fin du Monde" and "Trois Pistoles."

So I bought the bottle of Terrible and lugged it home, not knowing what to expect having never heard of this brewery or beer. Chilled it a bit in the fridge and took it for a whirl. Nice touch with the cork in the bottle, instead of a metal cap.

Appearance - brown glass bottle, so you can't tell what's happening inside. Pours a dark, dark brown, almost black. Medium tan-brown head which didn't last that long, and doesn't look excessively carbonated.

Smell - strange combination of fruity sweetness, with a base of roasted, chocolatey earthiness. Also lingering is the scent of yeast, which is understandable since this beer is bottled with some yeast which allows additional fermentation in the bottle (bottled on the lees).

Taste - sweet fruit and a bit of bittersweet dark chocolate. An earthy wood flavor kicks in, as well as the alcohol punch (10.5%). Finishes kind of dry and crisp, not overpowering.

Mouthfeel & drinkability - seems to have more carbonation than what appears to be going on in the glass. nice balance of the fruity citrus and cocoa flavors. light finish makes this very easy to drink more than one, but have to watch out because it is quite strong.

Evidently, Unibroue brews a bunch of beers in the Belgian-style. This beer is listed as a dark brown Abbey style beer. It was really good. Can't wait to try the others. Considering that I'm more of a stout and porter type of drinker, this was quite refreshing. Damn French Canadians
mike1290

Re: Unibroue brewery in Quebec

Unread postby PaulO » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Trader Joe's has some beer brewed for them by Unibroue. It is not allways available. A friend gave me some for helping him move. It was very nice. Unpasturized, unfiltered, bottle conditioned beer is hard to beat. The stronger stuff changes as it ages like vintage wine.
PaulO

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:43 pm

I have had several of the Unibroue Beers, including La Fin Du Monde (End of the World), Trois Pistoles (three towers), and Maudet (don't know the meaning). They are quite strong and sweet (takes a lot of malt to provide that much in the way of fermentables). I like them all, even though I haven't had any in a long time.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RobotAZ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 am

Haven't tried the "Terrible" before. I'll be looking for it now, though. Thanks for the feedback.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 am

Looks like I'll be resurrecting a few old threads tonight ---

I recently discovered Unibroue myself, thanks to the single bottle selection at one my local booze super-stores.

Really, really great stuff. I believe Don De Dieu is my favorite so far. They have an apple flavored brew that is pretty awesome too... It's like a light/crisp belgian wheat ale with green apple tartness (which aids the crisp factor, I would imagine). No actual sweet-apple flavor you may be thinking of when I say 'apple flavored'... just that crisp/tartness you'd get from just the right amount of green apple. "Refreshing" is a good adjective. Fun stuff... I'm gonna be picking up some more of it soon, should be incredible in the heat of summer, while lounging in the pool, watching some baseball! :)
JPBoston

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 am

Yeah, Unibroue makes some very tasty brews. :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby JPBoston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Hey Wasatch,

You didn't happen to take your name from the brewery, did you?

I tried some Wasatch Pumpkin Ale last October and it was pretty damn great. :)
JPBoston

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 pm

JPBoston wrote:Hey Wasatch,

You didn't happen to take your name from the brewery, did you?

I tried some Wasatch Pumpkin Ale last October and it was pretty damn great. :)

I took it after the Mountain Range. Yeah, Wasatch and Squatters make some pretty nice brews.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Return to What Ales You