Bruichladdich Links Carnoustie 14yo

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:19 pm

The next in Bruichladdich's golf course series, released to coincide with the Open Championship. Matured in bourbon than red wine casks (from Chateau Haut Brion). A release of 12,000 bottles.

Color: Dark cherry red with a tint of brown. Not too dark still translucent in a way as whisky can be. The legs were not very thick and didnt coat the side of the glass for long.

Nose: Smokey, at first smell I thought I wasn't going to like by how smokey it was, almost peaty. But, I waited a few minutes and the smokiness mellowed out and it was quite nice. A little sweet and fruity but not so much that you thought you were smelling a desert wine.

Taste: It was a nice balance of smoke and fruitiness, when I smelled it I thought I wasn't going to like it because of how smokey it seemed to smell. I am not a fan of peaty whiskies and from the reviews I had read of this I thought I wasn't going to like it, they all said peaty and let me tell you I didn't feel much peat in it.

Finish: I really didn't notice the finish/aftertaste I don't think it was very lingering, it was similar to the rest of the dram from what I remember but it was short.

Comments: This was my first Bruichladdich I have had, I found it to be very enjoyable. I would recommend it to someone who wants to try something new and hasn't already. I would like to find something else very similar to it to have. I am always open to suggestions.
scotchdrinker

Re: Bruichladdich Links Carnoustie 14yo

Unread postby enzo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Did you find it at all similar to Oban? As far as the smokey profile?
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 pm

enzo wrote:Did you find it at all similar to Oban? As far as the smokey profile?

I actually just had Oban 14yo a couple weeks ago. I think that the Oban is a little smokier from what I remember, the Bruichladdich also has a little bit more fruit to it its more of a subtle smoke but it is definitely there. The Oban I feel is just smokier and less fruity. I actually stopped drinking the Oban for 2 yrs and left it in my cabinet cause I didn't like it. I am more of a fan of it now. Two weeks ago was my first time having it in like two years. I hope this helps.
scotchdrinker

Unread postby enzo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info.. Sounds like a nice pour... and a lot more affordable than Oban.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Return to Scotch Whisky