New product

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

New product

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't know if anyone has seen this. I had not. It's basically Rebel Yell Small Batch, aged a little longer and bottled at 90.6 proof. I paid $24.95 here in Louisville.

Gayle
Attachments
DSC01807.JPG
DSC01807.JPG (117.23 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Bourbon HQ

Re: New product

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:03 pm

I did a side by side tasting with this one and the standard bottle 80 proof. Not much difference. A little corn, caramel and short finish. The new one did have a little more wheat taste to it. They (Bernheim) say they don't bottle anything less than five years old.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Gayle,

Thanks for posting - that's news to me! Never heard of it. Keep up the good work!

Saint Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:19 am

New to me as well and thanks for the post Gayle! It looks like an HH cork stopper... BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 am

Bourbon HQ wrote:I did a side by side tasting with this one and the standard bottle 80 proof. Not much difference. A little corn, caramel and short finish. The new one did have a little more wheat taste to it. They (Bernheim) say they don't bottle anything less than five years old.

Gayle

Is it Berheim? BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 am

My mistake. David Sherman.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 pm

I checked again. The bar code number says David Sherman, but Rebel Yell is made at the Bernheim Distillery (Heaven Hill).

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Luxco (it hasn't been David Sherman for many years) is a bottler and rectifier, but not a distiller. Historically, at least, they have gotten their bourbon from Heaven Hill and at one point, stated that fact on the Rebel Yell web site.

Whether or not Heaven Hill bottles anything younger than five years is irrelevant, since they don't do the bottling for Luxco. They send them the whiskey in bulk and Luxco bottles it in St. Louis. Heaven Hill sells bulk whiskey at whatever age the customer wants.

Rebel Yell, especially as wheaters go, was always a little on the rough side. That was part of the idea. The bottle I have, of recent vintage, is nearly undrinkable, though not as bad as some Luxco Yellowstone I had the misfortune of buying. One doesn't know the details of Luxco's contract with Heaven Hill, but every producer right now is making their stocks go as far as possible because supply is so tight. Luxco obviously saw an opportunity to create a step-up product for the Rebel Yell customer, but their options were probably limited in terms of what kind of juice they could get.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Kendall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Average bottom shelf stuff. Would not recommend for $20.00. Not sure why it was produced other than to sell a poor bourbon at a high price.
Kendall

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings