Theoretical age limits of scotch.

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Theoretical age limits of scotch.

Unread postby taitano » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm writing a story about someone who just spent eight hundred, thirty seven years in suspended animation while traveling between the stars. He thinks he's about to die and is going to drink a bottle of scotch he had been saving for his birthday, but that is longer away than impact.

So then, the questions: Could scotch, if properly sealed, last a thousand years? If so, what would it be like? When would it stop "aging"?

Thanks in advance for any replies
:)
taitano

Re: Theoretical age limits of scotch.

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Assuming no air entered the bottle...it would be the same as it went in.
mozilla

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 pm

NO!

NO!

NO!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby taitano » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:26 am

?o.O? Whuzzamatta yoo? Whudder ye talkin about? No what? :?:
taitano

Unread postby knadeau1003 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

As previously mentioned assuming the bottle is properly stored and no air enters the bottle, the scotch stay the same indefinitely. It is only once the seal has been breached by someone in search of a dram that the whisky will again begin to change, not age. Even once this happens the change would happen over a long time period and some may not even notice it.
knadeau1003

Unread postby barturtle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 pm

While I may not be an organic chemist, something tells me that the compounds that make up the flavor profiles of whiskey just aren't all that stable, even if there was such a thing as a perfect seal on a bottle, no light ever got to it and it was kept in a temperature controlled environment.
barturtle

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:01 am

if the tech was available to suspend a human for 800 plus years, you have to figure we have a better bottle than your average cling wrap... with SciFi, anything is possible... you might as well make it a Maker's Mark/Jim Beam Wheated Single malt Scotch :bom:
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby taitano » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Actually, Beam Family member Fred Noe III is still alive in my story. I may just give him a cameo; only fair since I gave McDonalds a cameo. ;)

From my Story Tracker document:
"2040 AD – The Fountain of Youth Virus
Dr. Michael Ho of Oxford releases the Fountain of Youth Virus. His intentions were to make all humanity infertile, increase their life span tenfold and then just let them die off. His motive was the Gravenstein Tower, an archology that was being built over Central Park in New York; he decided that man was an enemy to itself and to the Earth. He took the virus, infected himself and exposed it on a flight from New York to London on a Monday morning in April of 2040 and was dead by nightfall the next day.
The virus spread more than fifty times as fast as he had anticipated and had infected 25 percent of the developed world's population by that Friday and infected more than three quarters of Humanity by a week after that. Two Billion people died in the outbreak; three times the number dead in WWIII. Three quarters of those who survived the plague stopped aging completely and could not starve to death and no longer died when ill form any but the most insidious ailments. However, they could dehydrate to death and be slain by weapons and natural events like cold, crushing and fatal wounds(although, if one freezes solid quickly enough, thawing out the body will usually bring a person back to life. It often takes several painful decades to recover from a deep freeze).
90% of the surviving 25% garnered lifespans measured in millennia, rather than decades. They have gone on to become a new species with some very special powers. The 2.5% of humanity that was unaffected were unaffected because they were the extremely wealthy and the politicians of the world who hid in bunkers when the plague hit and were therefore 'spared'. Few of them were remembered, let alone missed."

The story takes place near the end of the Universe, about sixty billion years from now.
taitano

Return to Scotch Whisky