Five Butt Beer

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Five Butt Beer

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm

We had our 'sometimes' Annual Brew Ha Ha this Saturday and had a crowd of about 25 people. We still had a few bottle of last year's Red Ale and it was better than ever. We made two batches of Belgian White Ale, something I have not made before. We will probably bottle toward the end of February (after 1 week in primary fermentation, 3 weeks in secondary fermentation). Naturally, we will have party when we bottle, and then, naturally, we will have a tasting party along about the end of April.

Our main course for the party was stews. We had my, now famous, Bourbon Beef Stew (the recipe for this delicious stew is in the recipe forum of this site), along with a wonderful Brunswick Stew, and a White Chili (white beans and turkey) that was spiced just right. We had desserts galore, beer aplenty, and wine, wine, and wine. No bourbon until after the event (I had to keep some of my wits about me) and even then I was the lone sipper (07 Birthday Bourbon).

We decided to call our brew 'Five Butt Beer' in honor of the five guys who were most responsible for making the beer. We took several pictures of the guys, including one showing our butts, but some of the guys did not show their butts sufficiently so we discarded that one after a few hardy laughs from the assembled crowd. I did not mind trashing the picture since I happened to be the one most overexposed.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Five Butt Beer

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh, I most forgot, don't anyone tell my beautiful wife that I was overexposed, she don't know about that part and I hesitate to think what she and Barleycorn would do with that information.
Mike

Unread postby Irene George » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Sounds like a party I'm sorry I missed!
Irene George

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Bourbon Beef Stew?!? Damn, that sounds good! BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Five Butt Belgian White Ale is now in the bottles where I plan for it to remain for at least a month for proper carbonation. Tasted at the time of bottling, it was something of a disappointment........but the proof will be when it is carbonated and chilled to about 55 degrees and drunk facing a wall of pictures of naked Belgian Women.................just kidding about the pictures of naked Belgian Women and checking to see if you were alert. About 20 or so of us will have a 'tasting' party in early May.
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Mike,
For me to drink Belgian Whites, I would have to be facing real nude Belgian women, not just pictures of them. I downright dislike this stuff. What do you expect from a German?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 06, 2009 7:01 pm

We had our Five Butt Beer tasting party last Saturday. We had about 35 folks at a friend's lakeside home and our beer was very well received. We cooked a Low Country Boil and enjoyed each one another's company to distraction.

My main brewing buddy and I liked our beer well enough, but wheat beer is not our most favoritest kind of beer and we made it to satisfy those who prefer a beer that is lighter in taste and is in my opinion more on the 'refreshing' side rather than on the 'robust' and 'full flavored' side (which I prefer).

Still, we had a wonderful time and the beer was quite good for a wheat beer.

Barlelycorn played the Banjo and sang but seems I was the onliest one who heard him..................don't know how he manages that trick. I think maybe he is putting something in all the other people's beer!

The Five Butt guys are talking about making wine next time and I am down with that. But, Barleycorn says they are 'sissies'.
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:28 am

Mike,

Maybe you and Barleycorn can convince your Five Butt wine friends to make a BARLEYWINE instead! :wink:

I'm glad to know that at least you are still homebrewing. I haven't made a batch in a long time although I've got all the needed ingredients on hand.
Bob
Brewer

Return to What Ales You