Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Sam Houston

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Sam Houston

Unread postby forumadmin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about BuffaloBill's review of Sam Houston.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 pm

The review at the top of this review page written by Paul Pacult is quite accurate and on target. Rye bread and Oak resin... dry cereal - it certainly comes through in a big way, minus the fruit. The predominant note of this particular bottling is caramel and rye. It's not jammy; no marmalade overtones or citrus notes here, but lots of wood, cereal, and corn mash. And at this price-point I would consider purchasing another bottle. BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Interesting to compare the last two tastings with Mike's from a while back. The Sigman-sourced whiskey at the time was likely from a different source, or the same source but different-tasting barrels. Cucumber and grass seem to be hallmarks of a certain HH style of bourbon - maybe the Sam Houston of then was similar for example to 1783 of HH. But again, the current notes seem to stray away from that palate.

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Sam Houston

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:16 am

Yeh, I was going to put the word out to bourbonv to see where this stuff is coming from. I had thought it was HH but uncertain. Sigman sourced? Where was Sigman? BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Sam Houston

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Oh I meant there that Mike (of Conyers, Georgia) had said he got his bottle from Sigman, a liquor store in his area. In other words I meant that all the supply in the market then was probably from a different source, or different barrels, than are now being used. I had some not long ago and thought it was excellent.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion