(ri)1

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: (ri)1

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 am

I can say this for Chuck - His honesty is sometimes brutal but it always appreciated by his readers. The industry sometimes gets a little miffed at him, but eventually see that Chuck is right in the long run and get over it. The whiskey world needs more Chuck Cowderys.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:18 pm

I am now having a sip of the infamous (ri)1. The nose seems a bit light to me compared to the rye whiskies I like. (ri)1 reminds me a bit of some Canadian whiskies, but it is not quite that soft. I think Mike Veach is right about this being barely rye because the corn comes through almost as much as the rye.

I find nothing to find fault with in the nose, even if it is on the delicate side for a rye.

As to the taste, again Mike Veach is right on in his comments about the corn sweetness, but that sweetness also seems as if it comes from the grape.........and, there is a nice slice of rye spice and citrus that develops toward mid-palate. The sweetness is not at all cloying and is just enough to give (ri)1 nice viscosity, such that it is almost liquour like.

I like this whiskey, I genuinely do. I find it to have a cognac like quality in its sweetness, abetted by hints of the oak. This is the most delicate rye whiskey in my memory. It has a nice balance and if it is not complex, it has a subtlety that I find very appealing. I think it would serve well as accompaniment to a fruit dessert.........or maybe even a topping for such a dessert.

I would gladly serve it to guests and recommend that you try it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:40 pm

I gave a sip of (ri)1 to Barleycorn and here was his response, 'What did you put in my whiskey, Louis?' (Damn dog has taken to calling me 'Louis', but he won't say why).

So I replied, 'Well, I guess you don't get no more then, Leroy' (When he quits calling me 'Louis', I will quit calling him 'Leroy').

'Wait!' says he, ' I dint say I dint like what you put in this whiskey, now did I, Louis?

I poured a bit on the floor and said, 'What does that smell like to you?'

'Rabbit', says he.

'Ok', says I, 'You can have some more, LEE ROY!'

When he says bourbon smells like rabbit, I know he likes it.

Once I though I smelled some rabbit in a bourbon, but then I thought that can't be, I been around that dog too much.
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:21 pm

bourbonv wrote:I can say this for Chuck - His honesty is sometimes brutal but it always appreciated by his readers. The industry sometimes gets a little miffed at him, but eventually see that Chuck is right in the long run and get over it. The whiskey world needs more Chuck Cowderys.

That is why I sometimes post "in tongues". I desire to respond, but only GOD understands. That's a good thing.

Saint Linn - :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 pm

bunghole wrote:That is why I sometimes post "in tongues". I desire to respond, but only GOD understands. That's a good thing.

Saint Linn - :angel7:

Acknowledging that me and Mr bunghole have a kind of 'understanding' and 'respect' that is somewhat special, I tell everyone far and wide that this is a profound statement on his part.

Regardless of your understanding of 'GOD', what he says, 'only God understands. That's a good thing', reveals a mind which has struggled with the paradoxes that life continually throws our way.

That is why he is 'Saint Bunghole'..............give this drummer some!!
Mike

Unread postby Bas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 am

If they charge you already $45,- i wonder what it would cost overhere. Haven't seen it yet or tasted it.
New ways - therefor a new bottle and logo. It's a bit too soffisticated. i like more the 'smallbatch' style.
Bas

Unread postby Bas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 am

Actually , i referred to the bottle's appearance. In better words, i like the old fashioned style of a bottle better.
Bas

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Mike wrote:...I like this whiskey, I genuinely do. I find it to have a cognac like quality in its sweetness, abetted by hints of the oak. This is the most delicate rye whiskey in my memory. It has a nice balance and if it is not complex, it has a subtlety that I find very appealing. I think it would serve well as accompaniment to a fruit dessert.........or maybe even a topping for such a dessert.

I would gladly serve it to guests and recommend that you try it.

nice review, mike! but is it worth BUYING outright to try it? your notes are enticing, but i would rather spend $40+ on handy saz...or 4 bottles of old overholt...or 2 bottles of WTurkey Rye.... :geek:
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:52 pm

If Beam screwed up it may have been in introducing as $45-$49 whiskey in this economy. We'll see. As goes Grey Goose, so goes (ri)1.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bas » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Googled Grey Goose, (did not know what it was)
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfinanc ... res/10816/
Bas

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 pm

azoth_melusina wrote:nice review, mike! but is it worth BUYING outright to try it? your notes are enticing, but i would rather spend $40+ on handy saz...or 4 bottles of old overholt...or 2 bottles of WTurkey Rye.... :geek:

Like the man at the carnival said, 'You pays your money and you takes your choice!'

I will enjoy (ri)1 for some time to come. It may be a rather transparent marketing ploy AND overpriced and I may never buy another bottle (but then, I just might)........still, it is way better than good whiskey in my judgement (as I sit here drinking a sip of same).
Mike

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Mike wrote:
azoth_melusina wrote:nice review, mike! but is it worth BUYING outright to try it? your notes are enticing, but i would rather spend $40+ on handy saz...or 4 bottles of old overholt...or 2 bottles of WTurkey Rye.... :geek:

Like the man at the carnival said, 'You pays your money and you takes your choice!'

I will enjoy (ri)1 for some time to come. It may be a rather transparent marketing ploy AND overpriced and I may never buy another bottle (but then, I just might)........still, it is way better than good whiskey in my judgement (as I sit here drinking a sip of same).

hmmm....agree with those who are fed up with beam marketing...but i will tip the hat if it tastes good! i trust your notes mike, but i guess, in this ECONOMY, i''ll just set up on street corner with a snifter and draw on a piece of carboard, I NEED $45 for a taste of ri....or please pour a sample in my glass, thank you"
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:27 pm

I may try (ri)1 but only in a bar or if someone offers me a pour from their bottle. I don't buy Beam products, I'm not inspired to do so. I have the older ND era products and find them vastly superior to anything I can get now. I think Basil Hayden is a rip off for $40 here in VA. It was a thin, no taste whiskey. (ri)1 being more expensive at the same proof....not gonna do it. I'm spoiled by yesteryear's offerings.
ggilbertva

Unread postby barturtle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:36 pm

ggilbertva wrote:I may try (ri)1 but only in a bar or if someone offers me a pour from their bottle. I don't buy Beam products, I'm not inspired to do so. I have the older ND era products and find them vastly superior to anything I can get now. I think Basil Hayden is a rip off for $40 here in VA. It was a thin, no taste whiskey. (ri)1 being more expensive at the same proof....not gonna do it. I'm spoiled by yesteryear's offerings.

(ri)1 is higher in proof than either Basil Hayden or the other Beam ryes (92 proof) and it is quite nice, though I'm not going to say it's all that and the bag of chips for $45...
barturtle

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey