Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby forumadmin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about spun_cookie's review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof).
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Just want to comment here on something Emerald said about "glue stick". I once had an Old Taylor like that, it was black label, 90 proof from the early 70's. In my view, that Old Taylor was relatively immature, i.e., it had reached its stated 6 years of age but did not (in my opinion) fully acquire the palate which characterised the brand in the 70's and 80's. Maybe because the batch was little off the "profile" the company gave out a 90 proof instead of 86 or 80? I don't know. In sampling various 86 and 80 proof OTs from that era (70's-90's), I can get even in the best of them a hint of that glue stick. I think when young all OT had that taste in other words and it aged out to the mapley butterscotch perfumy palate usually associated with OT of that time. I'm glad I have that black label pint though since it is a taste of history and has helped me understand better the palate of ND-era Old Taylor.

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I have herd that the great carmelly flavor comes to a degree from the heads being left in the product. Do you think that Taylor used a fraction of the heads in the final distillate to eventually flavor the final product? I would think that if he did...he figured out how long it would take to age them out before being ready to bottle the product.
mozilla

Re: Comments on spun_cookie`s review of Old Taylor (old bottling which was 86 proof)

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Gary,
I had a tasting of a 8 yr Heaven Hill BIB from Washington state via Straightboston last week, and the nose was that of childrens paste. It was an odd smell, similar to glue sticks, but diffrent in the since of that basier smell from the glue in the paste... THe taste was very good, but the paste scent was there throughout...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm

That's interesting, I think it must be congener flavors which further barrel maturation would modify. If aged a few years longer, I think the whiskey would taste like EC 12.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion