Old Saratoga

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Saratoga

Unread postby jkg789 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:00 pm

I have a full bottle of Old Saratoga, pre prohibition rye whiskey. The company, Rosskam Gerstley and Co. went out of business in the early 1900's and was from Philadelphia. I know of a coulple of other bottles held by family members. Any other bottles out there and can anyone estimate its worth.

Thanks in advance
jkg789

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Tue May 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Sure is worth dinking... open it and let us know what you think... add some pictures as well
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Re: Old Saratoga

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 am

jkg789 wrote:I have a full bottle of Old Saratoga, pre prohibition rye whiskey. The company, Rosskam Gerstley and Co. went out of business in the early 1900's and was from Philadelphia. I know of a coulple of other bottles held by family members. Any other bottles out there and can anyone estimate its worth. Thanks in advance

To back up what Spun-Cookie said, your sample's greatest value (at least to us Bourbon Enthusiasts) is in the way it tastes. If you have an interest in American whiskey and some experience in describing the flavors (a talent I wish I had myself), please do a tasting and make out a report for those of us less fortunate than you. If you're looking for more information about who Rosskam Gerstley and Company were, there is some good information at http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view_vendor.php?vid=PHL1822

If you're just looking for a place to sell your bottle, it's likely you're wasting your time (at least until you've posted enough for us to get to know you better), since this isn't that kind of forum. But if you intend to open and actually taste that whiskey, we'd LOVE to read what you think of it.

And just about any of us would love you to share it with us, too! :lol:

Can you upload pictures? I have a bottle of Rosskam/Gerstley myself, a beautiful cut-glass decanter-type. But it doesn't contain their whiskey. I use it as my "blended remains" container.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 07, 2008 11:54 am

The bottles are worth whatever someone will give you for them. Just remember to make sure that person is not working for the Internal Revenue Service when you sell the bottle. That could get you a stiff fine and possible jail time.

With that said, I would recommend drinking it and telling us what you taste. I too would like to see photographs as well.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Old Saratoga

Unread postby jonfuld » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 pm

I am interested in acquiring Rosskam Gerstley items, especially advertising tins, but also all other items as well. I can be reached at jonfuld@mindspring.com, please send photos. Jon
jonfuld

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey