108 year old bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

108 year old bourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Brother » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Our family, the great grandchildern (5), all inherited (1) gallon of "Belmont Bourbon Wiskey". We had to try it and it is the best bourbon I have ever tasted X a million! Under the screw off cap/cork was a report of when and how it was distilled. It says, "Old fashioned little tub handmade sourmash process. Reduced with distilled water to 100 proof and bottled in its natural condition of absolute purity. Distilled the 4th of July 1899, with fresh branch spring water". The bottle is a gallon jug with the finger hole loop at the top of the jug. The label says, "Belmont Distillery Co. Inc." "18 Summers Old 18". I found that it is "Registered Distillery #412, 5th District of Louisville Kentucky". It is some what cloudy with a dark maroon color. I drink it or I should say kiis it out of a big sniffter glass. The legs on the inside of the glass are many, thick and slow running down the glass. Anybody thristy yet? I was not for opening it up because of potential value. It was my wifes Great Grandfather. She loves good sipping bourbon as much as I do and said she would never sell it anyway. I am glad we opened it up.

This posting was not to bragg or torture. I just thought all of our "Bourbon Brothers and Sister" out there would like to hear about it. Any information or comments about this incredible bourbon are much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Bourbon Brother
Bourbon Brother

Re: 108 year old bourbon

Unread postby mozilla » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Could you please post a picture of that great find.
mozilla

Unread postby Bourbon Brother » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Will do!
Bourbon Brother

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:53 am

I believe Randy Blank from Houston donated a couple gallons of this to the Getz. The whiskey was in perfect condition.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am

Waiting for the picture... please post! BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby ddddyyyyy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:12 pm

ddddyyyyy

Unread postby mannerpanner » Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 am

Similar experience. Dewars scotch... 1968. We found this hidden behind a wall panel... a whole darn case; we were tearing out a bar in a private home. The quality of this spirit was beyond words! One sip made my mouth water, this was the most incredible scoch I ever had! The modern dewars... garbage compared. I wish someone would produce a bourbon worthy of the name! things were made so much better back in the old days. :::sigh:::
mannerpanner

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 pm

I tasted some of this Belmont from Randy B.'s stash (he purchased several original, sealed cases/crates -- gallons and quarts -- several years ago. Some went to Getz, some to the distiller's family). It was, indeed, interesting, in that bourbon from 100+ years ago was readily identifiable as bourbon today -- but I didn't think it was particularly good compared to many of today's bottlings. The chief impression I had was of the oiliness (hence, I suspect, the long 'legs'), most likely the result of no chill-filtering in those days. It did not impact the flavor, but gave a luxurious mouthfeel.
For me, the chief education was that good bourbon has been around a long time already.
TNbourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:18 pm

There is such as thing as bad bourbon and there is such a thing as outstanding bourbon. We should all eschew bad bourbon but I pity anyone who only truly enjoys outstanding bourbon, because it comes along so rarely and wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable if it didn't.

It also can't be predicted. It doesn't have a price tag. It's that rare experience. You know it when you have it. That's why I won't tell anyone that what they found outstanding really isn't. Who can say?

What I will say is that in between bad and outstanding is different, and each new and different tasting experience is to be treasured. It's all good, unless it's bad. That's what I like about tasting whiskeys from defunct distilleries or any whiskeys made a long time ago. I rarely find them outstanding, though sometimes I do, but I almost always learn something from them.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings