Comments on mech82000's review of Wild Turkey Rye

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on mech82000's review of Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby forumadmin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about mech82000's review of Wild Turkey Rye;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm

Nice review mech, hope you will share more opinions on whiskey with us!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Comments on mech82000's review of Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby HowiPepper » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:50 am

I picked up a bottle of WT rye the other day on the suggestion of mozilla and others on this forum. I only had time for a cursory sampling that night, but I noted it was very complex in taste, with wonderful spicy overtones.

I got the chance to have another pour late last night. My wife and I got in late from a play at a dinner theater in Jacksonville, and I wanted something to relax me prior to going to bed. This time I helped myself to a much more generous pour, and was amply rewarded for my trouble.

As I mentioned above, WT rye has a very complex taste signature, with lots of sweetness and fruitiness going on, and a nice spicy over tone and finish. This is a very flavorful and satisfying whiskey! The price I paid was within reason as well (about $24 at the only liqueur store in the county that carries it).

As I am just beginning my exploration of all things whiskey, I won't say WT rye will become my steady rye whiskey, but from what I've detected, the others will have to really go a long way to displace it.
Last edited by HowiPepper on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowiPepper

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am

I am very glad you liked the Turkey Green. It is too bad that your local store does not have better pricing...it can be found here for between $17-21. At that price, it makes for a great everyday pour. They wholesale for around $13, here.
mozilla

Unread postby HowiPepper » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 am

mozilla wrote:I am very glad you liked the Turkey Green. It is too bad that your local store does not have better pricing...it can be found here for between $17-21. At that price, it makes for a great everyday pour. They wholesale for around $13, here.

Unfortunately, most of our county was populated by retirees from up north during the 1970's. In fact, my wife's family moved down here from Boston in 1972 to escape the winters up there. The prices are pretty much in-line with the other two liqueur stores in the county. I work in Jacksonville, FL, which is about 50 or so miles up I-95, so I think I will stop off at one or two of the stores up there and see what kind of stock they have, and the price-point for it.

Btw, I do not drink a lot (maybe one pour a night, one to two fingers deep), so the price I paid isn't too bad. That's not to say I wouldn't like to find it for less, but I can live with this.
HowiPepper

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Check out some of the internet stores. Sometimes they have some unbelievable deals.
mozilla

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion